Gaia app

So the Gaia app.

If I buy the premium can I use it for my iPad and my iPhone? Or do I have to Pick one device and use it? I’d like to use my new iPad and I have several others. I don’t understand the phone carrier thing but I have an older iPad as well with it. And would like to have my kids follow along on thier phones and learn maps and help plan routes while I just focus on the driving.

also do I need to buy a separate gps unit? My 200 nav already has a gps locator and my cell phone.

Thanks!

The app will need a GPS signal though. It will work perfect on your phone. It will also work perfect on the iPads if they have an LTE connection. I'm not sure how well they will work without it since iPads with LTE also have built in GPS. The wifi only iPads do not from my understanding.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
SILVER Star

If you have a Wifi only iPad, you'll have to pair it with a separate GPS transceiver (most are bluetooth enabled these days).

If you have a Wifi only iPad, you'll have to pair it with a separate GPS transceiver (most are bluetooth enabled these days).
How does that work? I put the gaia app on my wife's 5th gen ipad. I guess it's a wifi only ipad because she doesn't get calls on it and there is no carrier listed in the "about" section in general settings. But if I put it on airplane mode, my location in the Gaia app still shows up and the directional arrow is accurate. I haven't used it on a trip before, just my iphone though.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
SILVER Star

5th gen iPad specs on LOCATION tech:
  • Wi-Fi
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • iBeacon microlocation
  • Wi-Fi + Cellular model
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
    • Cellular
    • iBeacon microlocation

5th gen iPad specs on LOCATION tech:
  • Wi-Fi
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • iBeacon microlocation
  • Wi-Fi + Cellular model
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
    • Cellular
    • iBeacon microlocation
I'm not sure what to make of this. Her wifi only ipad technically does not have GPS? How do map apps work on airplane mode then?

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
SILVER Star

I'm with you on this. Just quoting known specs that there is something like GPS working on the wifi only models. This wasn't always the case (on older iPads).

I have not researched what iBeacon is. . .you can go down that rabbit hole.

As for add on GPS transceivers, there are several bluetooth options out there. They also make USB ones designed to work with a laptop (Earthmate comes to mind).

I'm with you on this. Just quoting known specs that there is something like GPS working on the wifi only models. This wasn't always the case (on older iPads).

I have not researched what iBeacon is. . .you can go down that rabbit hole.

As for add on GPS transceivers, there are several bluetooth options out there. They also make USB ones designed to work with a laptop (Earthmate comes to mind).
I googled iBeacon:
"That technology allows mobile apps to recognise when an iPhone is near a small wireless sensor called a beacon (or iBeacons, as well). The beacon can transmit data to an iPhone - and visa versa - using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). iBeacon is a feature in iOS 7, thus Apple's new iPhones will have iBeacon."

Top Bottom