fzj80 lockers not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys... before everyone tells me to search more i have been searching this whole weekend.
Ok so i bought a fzj80 2 weeks ago the p.o had the truck for 10 years and said that he don't remember ever locking the diffs.
My problem ignition on abs comes on and goes away(regular check) but when low range is put on bo diff light comes or abs i played with it from high to low and finally i hear a click under the dash if i move the magic nob i hear clicking and diff lights flash. Center dif light nwver comes on tho.. any input of what i should do next???
Thanks in advance

Updates.... Today i got in the teuck i haven't had time to check but on sunday when i was shifting from h to l i left in in l today i started the truck the abs light stayed on and the center diff light stayed on woohoo i lock the rear and it locked i tried the front but it only blinked so i unlock the diff put it back to h and then L again but now only the abs light comes on no cent diff light i tried locking the rear and a solid light for the rear came on but still no center diff light.
ATTACH]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409751029106.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409751029106.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 99
Maybe needs a new light bulb for center diff light. If the center diff is not locked rear will not lock.

It was not stationary i let idle by its self then the rear locked but no center diff light.. So im leaning to think its the bulb now because when L is selected abs lights turns on now

As @nukegoat mentioned, you should be moving slowly on a surface that will allow some tire slippage (gravel, dirt, etc... not pavement!) in order for your differentials (center, front, or rear) to lock.

Try putting the truck in low and rolling forward a bit on gravel.

Once you've got that figured out, your front and rear lockers are similar. Try engaging them while moving slowly on gravel, turning lazy figure 8's until you're all locked up.

The more you "exercise" these, the faster they will lock.

EDIT: Also - the paperclip test on the CDL indicator switch will verify your dash bulb. Pull and jumper it, and the light will come on.

Thank you guys i appreciate the help i will try this soon but today on the way home from work one of the rear brake line on the axle popped so ill fix that hopefully tomorrow... Im thinking of doing all the line p.o used the truck mostly on winter time and few time just to camp during the summer so i thinking of doing them all just to be on the safe side..

Abs l
It was not stationary i let idle by its self then the rear locked but no center diff light.. So im leaning to think its the bulb now because when L is selected abs lights turns on now
You gotta be turning slightly to actually spin the tires at different rates to line up the mechanism. Straight lines won't do it

Hey guys sorry for the delays...
Here are the updates.
Finally fixed the brake lines and started messing with the lockers.. I did the diff lock button upgrade i had order the switch a while back and i put it in yesterday.. So by using rhe button i found out the light was deff broken after replacing the light and notice that the center diff was locking i took it out to a sort of gravel parking lot. Rear and center lock right away but with the center locked i try doing tight turn and heard a VERY LOUD CLACKING NOISE coming from the front left i think it my axle so i stopped before daming anything else so i havent got to lock the front yet but center and rear i working fine... Thanks for all the help guys

Try raising the truck off the ground with jack stands and see if the front will lock this way. Just turn one wheel by hand and it should lock pretty quick. When I got my truck it took a while for the front to work normally. It made sounds until it was "exercised" enough to work properly.

Try raising the truck off the ground with jack stands and see if the front will lock this way. Just turn one wheel by hand and it should lock pretty quick. When I got my truck it took a while for the front to work normally. It made sounds until it was "exercised" enough to work properly.
Im going to give this a try... But the noise i hear it really sounds like a bad axle its every time i do a tight turn now and it happened after i locked te center and rear and turned hard since then it started making noise but my im going to lift the truck and try locking it that way... Thanks (cheers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom