FZJ80 Front Axle Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, now that I have an 80, I'm selling the truck I used to drive every day. A guy locally offered to buy my old truck for near my asking price, plus $1000 credit at his shop... a big off-road truck service shop in town.

My 80 has 176k miles on it. I have record of the front end being rebuilt at around 80k miles, but not since then. No clicking, roaring, or other noise right now from the front.

Is $1000 enough to get the front axle serviced? I'd imagine that if it's not enough, it's probably close enough to put a real dent in the total bill.

My 80 has a decent service history, one of the reasons I bought it, so I'm not sure what else I would use that credit for --- I believe the head gasket is original, but my truck has 170-180# compression across all six cylinders, so I am probably Ok for now, and I'd imagine a HG job to be $2k+.

I'd like to get some TJM 50mm springs and get them installed (probably would need the caster bushings as well). Not really sure what else to do.

Ok what shop in RDU and do they have any Toyota solid axle experience? 4WP?

Would be a good use and should about cover it but if they aren't familiar id rather do it myself and buy new parts instead.

My vote is buy pizza and beer and invite the onsc crew over for a front axle HAMOM and get to know your truck better in the process. Use the credit for goods vs labor and order up the TJM or lift of your choice with bushings. These lifts are easy to install. You can swap springs and shocks and if there is any credit left use it for pushing in the CC bushings

1000 credit will at least get you an arb bumper or most of a lift so good job there.

Ok what shop in RDU and do they have any Toyota solid axle experience? 4WP?

My vote is buy pizza and beer and invite the onsc few over for a front axle HAMOM and get to know your truck better in the process. Use the credit for goods vs labor and order up the TJM or lift of your choice with bushings. These lifts are easy to install. You can swap springs and shocks and if there is any credit left use it for pushing in the CC bushings

1000 credit will at least get you an arb bumper or most of a lift so good job there.

Well, I hate to post their name because it is a private transaction - but yeah, they do full-size Chevy's/Ford's, Tundra's, Jeep's, etc, so lots of solid-axle trucks and some Toyota's. Diesels, as well. I'm confident they can do it, especially since 80's are supposed to be trucks that even third-world mechanics can service.

I'd love to do the front end job - although I hate to rely on others that I barely know to have to do favors for me! I would feel like a parasite asking a new-to-me group of guys to come work on my truck.

If I do something other than the front end work, I'd definitely go for the TJM lift with bushings. I'm trying to focus more on an overlanding type build vs rock crawler, so I don't want to go too extreme on the setup. 33's and a 2" lift will get me close. Other than that, I just want it to be reliable.

+1 on checking on experience....resealing and servicing a Toyota front axle might seem like a bigger task then it really is if you haven't done it before. I'd save that for something to do on a Saturday or Sunday when you get some free time. Use the credit towards a lift and have them install it if you can, a Lift is something you can use every time you get in your 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom