FZJ80 Cost of baselining and ownership (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
An ongoing point of interest on the forum are the costs associated with owning and operating 80 series landcruisers. My general observation is that:
  • potential 80 buyers seem to focus mostly on purchase price
  • 80 owners point out the costs of catching up on maintenance, modifications and general care and feeding of an 80
There plenty of good discussions on this topic from the past but with the run up in purchase prices in recent years (of 80s and similar vehicles), shifting parts availability, increase in fuel prices, etc. the numbers are always changing. I'd be interested in seeing numbers from other 80 owners and being able to compare costs of ownership with 80s that were nicer/better maintained when purchased, that have been maintained by paid mechanics or have been more extensively updated [ @COYS :) ].

For the 6 years and 62k miles that I've owned my 80 I've tracked most of the time and $ that I've put into and below is a summary of my 80 costs to date, minus insurance. I bought my 80 as a driveable but very rough project in 2016. The first few years were spent on baselining and making it reliable, the next few years were primarily on driveability and now I'm into interior comfort and cosmetics work related to making it "nicer". If I go much further I'll change my insurance strategy as I've had it at liability only while it is ugly/rough.

It's probably worth saying that I'm really happy with my 80 and am enjoying the restoration and maintenance work that it requires though I have to pace myself to avoid it feeling like work. I'd be open to changing vehicles and I've occasionally considered moving to an LX470 for the V8 and smooth ride (I like the AHC) or a newer Tundra/Sequoia that can fit the family. Thinking of the extra maintenance/complexity that I'd be getting with the LX makes me prefer the 80, looking at the purchase prices of the newer rigs makes it seem like the 80 is a bargain and I prefer older stuff anyway. My plan remains to keep the 80 as my primary vehicle indefinitely.
  • current cost per mile is $.52, without insurance factored in
  • overall cost per month are $435 and should drop over time
  • 2016 "parts costs" includes the purchase price of $1800 and misc fluids/stuff to drive it home
  • Baselining has included HG, suspension bushings, most rubber, etc. and seems universally needed for any not-yet-updated 80 at this point
  • My main surprise is that fuel costs are so close to parts costs at this point. I pay more attention to the parts spend but the fuel steadily adds up and higher prices are evident the last few years.

Parts CostsFuel CostsMiles DrivenHrs Worked
Totals$17,906.90$14,443.9862,498536.1
2016$2,000.00$0.0014016
2017$3,129.00$71.8262796.5
2018$4,940.00$1,889.798,687143.85
2019$2,556.00$2,507.5712,64655.5
2020$1,991.00$2,254.3813,04280.25
2021$1,950.90$3,869.3615,58678.25
2022$1,340.00$3,851.0611,77165.75

This is still the best thread and should be visited often by anyone who owns an 80 series.

Agree on that @OGBeno and this quote is pretty timeless:

The care and feeding of a top-end luxury vehicle DOES NOT depreciate like the vehicle does. Parts and labor costs only go up.

The only way to really be able to afford one is to enter into the relationship with eyes wide open and the commitment to learn to work on it and care for it yourself. Or, have the resources to pay somebody WHO KNOWS AND UNDERSTANDS the vehicle to look after it on your behalf.

Damn, dude. You stole that thing for 1800$. Bought mine just over 7 years ago at night in a rush for 4 Gs cash. Only regret is not doing it during the day and not taking my yamaka with me . . .cuz the rust alone would taken 2 Gs off at least, knowing what I do now. But I’m honestly 20 grand deep in it as it sits(and it’s actually sitting cuz the front axle is out out for a rebuild/repaint/regear/abs delete) and that’s not including initial purchase price . . .but it’s becoming what I’d once dreamed it would be.

If you think you want an 80; you’d better have some expendable income. You’ve gotta love it. Otherwise it’ll become “work” as you’ve said above. Then it just sucks.

Threads are better with pictures, and I forgot to add one!

Here's my 80 on a Winter '22 camping trip with the vehicle that it replaced. After driving that Air Cooled Vanagon for more than a decade before I got the 80 I never really worry about the 80 being too slow and the climate control in the CE is such a welcome luxury (Van had no AC and poor heat). The Vanagon does camp better but the half width bed/platform with reclined 3rd row for sitting in the 80 works.

80 camping.jpg

From my experience these trucks take $5-15k to baseline. They all need the same things if they have been neglected.

Hoses, brake lines, control arm bushings, heater valve, radiator, fuel system, oil leaks and more are all very common repairs needed.

Cheers

Wow, @jpoole if I'm understanding this correctly, you would've spent over $50,000 in labor on your truck if you hadn't done the work yourself! That really underscores the importance of being willing to turn a wrench on these trucks.

At the same time, DIY work can lead to its own frustrations IME; if you mess something up or a part is defective, that's on you. But I think most will agree it will save a lot of money in the long run.

At the same time, one good thing about the 80 series is that it was designed to be able to limp itself home if something does go wrong; i.e. if the brake booster fails you can still brake, just with more effort. IME they are simple and robust enough that they can still be driven in a less-than-deal mechanical state as long as you keep an eye on the temps and feed it plenty of oil.

That being said, to really get them up to snuff is often a more expensive endeavor than what many are willing to embark on. Ten years ago they were incredible value since they were at the bottom of their depreciation curve while still being within their original service life. Now they're getting to the age where they're basically hobby vehicles; whole systems often have to be refurbished/replaced, let alone parts, as stated above. Your heart really has to be in it to own one.

Impressive documentation jpoole.

I bought mine last May for $5500 and have spend about $2500 on "essential" parts so far. . I don't plan on replacing HG as preventative maintenance. Approximately 2K miles driven during my ownership. Hardly anything, right? 203K total.

Besides brakes and gas, I'm not anticipating any further expenses for awhile. Hah! The peanut gallery says.

I feel like it's now ready for some road trip action next summer.

Besides brakes and gas, I'm not anticipating any further expenses for awhile. Hah! The peanut gallery says.

This is where it gets really hard to put a price on the cost of owning and maintaining an 80 series.

I feel like a lot of people do go overboard and replace a lots of parts that aren't broken because they are "in there already" or they just want to replace stuff for the peace of mind.

Bought my current 80 one year ago because it was rust free and was in great shape mechanically, drove super strong and solid, a rarity here in Michigan.

Then it was an extra 20k worth of death by a million cuts.....so far

I'm somewhat loathed to actually put this in writing. I'm sure my experience isn't typical, since I dropped a v8 crate engine in to mine after buying it with a blown 1FZ. Still, seems like a valid data point for anyone thinking they can recover one of these trucks from the grave and maintain a small budget.

Purchased 28 months ago (June 2020). All of this data lives in a spreadsheet that I maintain for the insurance company, so I'm 100% sure it's accurate. Numbers below don't include fuel, insurance, ongoing maintenance items or any peripherals (recovery gear, tools, etc). This is strictly build cost.

Purchase price: $500
Parts, mods and shop charges: $109,200 (limited shop work outside the v8 conversion and setting up new gears)
Personal time put in to restoration: ~600 hours which translates to $72,000 at shop rates.

Total investment, if I didn't twist any wrenches myself: $181,700.
Initial purchase price as a percentage of current investment: 0.27%

And I still have plenty left on the list that I want to do.

you would've spent over $50,000 in labor on your truck if you hadn't done the work yourself!

Yeah, that's right, and I'm sure that I've under-counted my work time. I'd guess a 5%-10% undercount on work time as I sometimes forget to log the little things that I do here and there. I also don't log all of the time that I spend researching repairs online and building parts lists, which frankly is pretty considerable. Building solid parts lists with accurate parts numbers with links to best prices, etc. is a ton of work and has a big impact on parts costs and avoiding delays when you are turning wrenches.

I do hourly, contract work for a living and worked as a dealer mechanic long ago so I think my logged time is fairly accurate and that the work output for that time is decent. Of course, the way that pros work is very different where they bill based on book time and then try to knock the work out faster than the quoted/book time, etc. I take my time when needed, but still work pretty fast at this point because few jobs are a first for me.

An important, but hard to quantify part of the equation for me is that I love having a tangible project. I work on the computer all day and my brain doesn't always register that I've done much during that time. Working with my hands and building something that I can see, drive and enjoy scratches a primal itch and has a lot of value. Overlapping my need for a tangible project with my need for a vehicle just means I get returns in multiple different areas for any effort that goes in. Classic win win.

a lot of people do go overboard and replace a lots of parts that aren't broken because they are "in there already" or they just want to replace stuff for the peace of mind

I'm firmly in the overboard on PM camp, motivated by the pursuit of peace of mind and past experience. My 80 is primarily the family road trip vehicle and I hope to avoid ever being broken down with the wife and young kids. I followed the "fix it on your own schedule" approach before I had kids but it would be hard to overstate how much more I want to avoid mechanicals with the kids in tow and I feel like excess PM is the price I have to pay to drive a "hobby" vehicle with a family.

@SNLC this discussion just makes your build that much more impressive to me:

Parts, mods and shop charges: $109,200 (limited shop work outside the v8 conversion and setting up new gears)

I'm not going to question your numbers, but maybe question your sanity.

That's impressive in a single year. I assume at least part of that is paying others for work?

Other than the paint job it's actually a small percentage of it and even the paint job wasn't very expensive.

Looking back on it I should have just done tires, suspension, called it good and drove the snot out of her because very little of that money went towards mechanical.....she really didn't need much at all mechanically the things I did have been more of preventative. Now I have to have every little thing perfect.....because I've come this far already right? It's not over, Dobinsons kit is on it's way....

Local man with an imported HDJ80 says he has over $125K into it. Just about all the work on his has been done at Torfab, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom