Fun with stalling at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After changing my air filter in my 94... I had stalling and rough idle problems. Did some research and decided it must be the intake hose between the throttle body and the intake manifold, which makes sense... so I replaced the hose with a new one and it fixed it... no more check engine light, idle is smooth and no more stalling.

BTW when I removed the old hose it was HARD and had cracked in the "bellows" area of the hose, it fell apart in two pieces when I removed it. Good thing I had a replacement. :cool:

Just wanted to share. BTW a stock air filter on a 71 F engine (FJ40) and my 94 FZJ80 are interchangeable! I love Toyota...

I had that exact same problem a few months back, after 156k that hose was rock hard and split in half when I took it off.

ajohnson: Didn't check, I just had (actually still have, I suspected it was more than that) a CEL. But it definitely fixed that problem.

BNC: EXACTLY. Not too surprising, but I've seen other rubber hoses last longer. Odd that my intake tubes downstream of the Throttle Body on my 85 4Runner are made of plastic. You'd think they'd stick with a good thing.

My hose is fine, was replaced by PO. However, I did remove the TBI tonight based on some other threads I read about cleaning it up. The butterfly was pretty gummed up on the backside. Got it all cleaned up with some CRC Teflon Safe Intake Cleaner using a toothbrush and blowing cleaner through all the rubber hoses as well. This is after I removed the intake hose from air cleaner to TBI and cleaner thoroughly and still getting the code.

Anyway, after cleaning the backside of TBI and the opening for the IM, code is gone and engine runs MUCH smoother, smooth as silk in fact, idles very nice at 700rpm, before it would ramp to 1600 and slowly drop to around a 1000 then to 80 or so, running rougher the lower it got, even more so with AC on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom