Full-Time Hauling with GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title suggests, I am about to embark into full-time travel with the GX460 as my dedicated rig for overland travel which will mostly entail pulling a ~3,500lb trailer. I'm not going to be doing too much "wheeling" while traveling aside from boondocking in National Forests/BLM areas so my modifications are going to be directed toward better towing performance.

So far, I am looking into an AT Trans Cooler, suspension upgrades, and a Redarc Brake Controller. I'll do tires/racks/mild interior modifications as well, but that's squared away already.

As far as suspension, I need help here. I don't have any experience with the suspension on this platform and need suggestions from experienced tow'ers on how to best handle this job. I'd like a 1-2" lift before we head out.

My thoughts are a Dobinson's suspension for heavy loads front and rear and potentially bags in the back, but that's as far as I have gotten before requiring some more experienced voices.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Picture for your time!

IMG_2311.jpeg

I occasionally tow a Casita travel trailer thats roughly 2500lbs. I enitially had the Dobinsons Medium rate springs in the rear but have recently switched to their HD springs. I have added more weight to the rig so I may need to go up a spring rate again in the Spring.

I occasionally tow a Casita travel trailer thats roughly 2500lbs. I enitially had the Dobinsons Medium rate springs in the rear but have recently switched to their HD springs. I have added more weight to the rig so I may need to go up a spring rate again in the Spring.
Yeah, I think I want to go with their HD springs to begin with for sure. Hoping maybe those and airbags would suffice for the load.

Airbags for sure.
And don’t skimp on tires…get an LT-rated tire with at least a load range “C”, and possibly “E”, to handle the additional load.
Good idea on the transmission cooler too. And Redarc is the bomb!
Last, load up that debit-card account…be prepared to average high single-digit fuel mileage 😳
Have fun…sounds like a great endeavor.

I tow a race car a few times a year. It's a heavier load so I went with E range tires. I also use a Fastway E2 weight distribution hitch with sway control and I've been very happy with it. It makes towing so much more stable and they have great customer service if you have any questions. I also use an OBD reader with the Fusion app. You can make custom gauges to display so I have trans temps, etc. showing in real time so I can keep an eye on them when towing.

Lots of threads/post on transmission cooler installation. I used the factory one for the ROW. Pulling a trailer all the time you may want to size the cooler up.

With towing definitely go E rated tire, this will provide a stiffer sidewall and help reduce rear end sway.

Indeed on tire selection! I recently got back from a 6-month domestic trip around the country in a Transit 250 and put E-Rated KO2's on the rig. They handled the 9,000lbs with no issue and I plan to use them again on the GX for this trip!

As far as suspension goes, can someone let me know if my planned approach will net me the results I am after?

Bilstein 5100's Front and Rear
Dobinsons Heavy Load Springs Front and Rear

Daily driveability is also a factor as we'll be exploring with the vehicle without the camper attached as well. Would HD springs make the ride unbearable?

Thoughts?

As far as suspension goes, can someone let me know if my planned approach will net me the results I am after?

Daily driveability is also a factor as we'll be exploring with the vehicle without the camper attached as well. Would HD springs make the ride unbearable?

Thoughts?
How much gear will you be carrying for your side trips? Will you be installing a winch/bumpers/sliders etc? Consider your side trip load out, tongue weight, how the load out is positioned in the vehicle, ie back packs, recovery gear, water, fridge, forward or aft of the rear axle? Noumerous things to consider.

How much gear will you be carrying for your side trips? Will you be installing a winch/bumpers/sliders etc? Consider your side trip load out, tongue weight, how the load out is positioned in the vehicle, ie back packs, recovery gear, water, fridge, forward or aft of the rear axle? Noumerous things to consider.
Not that much. I'm not planning on doing much wheeling aside from forest/fire service roads. My main goal is to outfit the GX for hauling as best as it can. I won't be doing bumpers, winch, sliders, etc. Load positioning is/will be accounted for all the time as well, though loadout will stay relatively slim. We're more hikers/climbers than wheelers so the vehicle just needs to get us to trailheads for the most part.

Not that much. I'm not planning on doing much wheeling aside from forest/fire service roads. My main goal is to outfit the GX for hauling as best as it can. I won't be doing bumpers, winch, sliders, etc. Load positioning is/will be accounted for all the time as well, though loadout will stay relatively slim. We're more hikers/climbers than wheelers so the vehicle just needs to get us to trailheads for the most part.
Then look for a rear spring that accommodates your tongue weight 300-500 lbs constant load, perhaps a front coilover that levels the vehicle when the trailer is being towed but when not towing has a bit of a rake due to no load on the hitch.

All this talk of changing springs… Just get some Firestone Coil Rite bags! Not sure why more people don’t use these wonderful alternatives to using heavy ass rear springs that ride like s*** 90% of the time when not towing.

Last edited:
I would also advise against the heavy springs. Instead, invest in a good weight distribution hitch to move some of the load off the rear axle and onto the front axle. This will make the GX drive and handle much better towing than just heavy springs will as it actually reduces loading on the rear axle. Heavy springs keep the rear end higher but do nothing to reload the front axle to the non-loaded weight - therefore braking/steering will be worse than if you are using a WDH and softer springs.

If it is still a bit bouncy, add the airbags as mentioned. I've been towing a 3,000-lb camper my my 470 and 0-110+ lb Ironman rear springs. I've been tweaking the WDH settings (we just got the camper) and have found it rides anywhere from better than unloaded to uncomfortable bouncy, depending on how things are set. With a bit more dialing I am confident it will ride excellent, all without going to crazy-stiff rear springs.

EDIT: A few other things:
1. I have the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and it's a great controller.
2. The transmission cooler is a good idea. Also get a smartphone app, like Torque Pro, and a wifi/bluetooth ODBII reader so you can monitor trans temps. After I installed a Hayden 678 cooler my trans temps have not exceeded 175F while towing. At least on the 470s with a 5-speed transmission, the torque converter won't lock in gears 4 and below, which can cause the trans temps to get very hot if you are pulling a long, mountain grade and need to use 3rd gear to maintain speed.
3. Unless your GX is really low mileage (<60K), I would also change the transmission fluid with a complete flush when you install the cooler.
4. Get this receiver: PT228-60140 Genuine Lexus Tow Hitch Receiver - https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-accessories_gx_hitch_pin_mnt-pt22860140.html as it bolts to the rear framerails and should allow the WDH to transfer load through the frame easily. The smaller pintle hitch used on a 5th gen T4R (and possibly a GX460....) is supposedly not compatible with a WDH due to the torsion load applied to the rear crossmember.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
That's going to ride like s*** unless you are "heavy loaded" all the time. 5100s are jolting, heavy springs are stiff. Get the full dobinsons kit with their shocks and standard or comfort springs with airbags in the rear if you want a comfortable ride.

Then look for a rear spring that accommodates your tongue weight 300-500 lbs constant load, perhaps a front coilover that levels the vehicle when the trailer is being towed but when not towing has a bit of a rake due to no load on the hitch.
Indeed! I think maintaining the rake is a must for my needs.
All this talk of changing springs… Just get some Firestone Coil Rite bags! Not sure why more people don’t use these wonderful alternatives to using heavy ass rear springs that ride like s*** 90% of the time when not towing.

I would also advise against the heavy springs. Instead, invest in a good weight distribution hitch to move some of the load off the rear axle and onto the front axle. This will make the GX drive and handle much better towing than just heavy springs will as it actually reduces loading on the rear axle. Heavy springs keep the rear end higher but do nothing to reload the front axle to the non-loaded weight - therefore braking/steering will be worse than if you are using a WDH and softer springs.

If it is still a bit bouncy, add the airbags as mentioned. I've been towing a 3,000-lb camper my my 470 and 0-110+ lb Ironman rear springs. I've been tweaking the WDH settings (we just got the camper) and have found it rides anywhere from better than unloaded to uncomfortable bouncy, depending on how things are set. With a bit more dialing I am confident it will ride excellent, all without going to crazy-stiff rear springs.

EDIT: A few other things:
1. I have the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and it's a great controller.
2. The transmission cooler is a good idea. Also get a smartphone app, like Torque Pro, and a wifi/bluetooth ODBII reader so you can monitor trans temps. After I installed a Hayden 678 cooler my trans temps have not exceeded 175F while towing. At least on the 470s with a 5-speed transmission, the torque converter won't lock in gears 4 and below, which can cause the trans temps to get very hot if you are pulling a long, mountain grade and need to use 3rd gear to maintain speed.
3. Unless your GX is really low mileage (<60K), I would also change the transmission fluid with a complete flush when you install the cooler.
4. Get this receiver: PT228-60140 Genuine Lexus Tow Hitch Receiver - https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-accessories_gx_hitch_pin_mnt-pt22860140.html as it bolts to the rear framerails and should allow the WDH to transfer load through the frame easily. The smaller pintle hitch used on a 5th gen T4R (and possibly a GX460....) is supposedly not compatible with a WDH due to the torsion load applied to the rear crossmember.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the insight! Hadn't considered a WDH or a different receiver but will look into both for sure!
That's going to ride like s*** unless you are "heavy loaded" all the time. 5100s are jolting, heavy springs are stiff. Get the full dobinsons kit with their shocks and standard or comfort springs with airbags in the rear if you want a comfortable ride.
Good to know! I think I found a good full Dobinsons kit to do instead of the 5100's.

He intends to tow more often then not. Air bags are great for a person towing occasionally, once or twice a month. This is full time living from what I understand.

You can get shocks valved for the springs you purchase if you go to the right retailer. Off the shelf products are a close guess.

E loads, trans cooler, redarc, heavy springs and move on… you’ll be fine. Add wd hitch later if you feel it’s needed but at 3500 you might not need it. Im equipped as above and tow 3000 over Loveland and vail passes frequently with no issues.

I havent towed much with the 460 but I have a 470 that I have owned for years and have towed quite a bit. I usually tow around 4500 to 5k and have it setup for backroad exploration. I have an OME lift with medium rate springs. I have been very happy. I have towed up some nasty forest service roads. I have a front receiver and carry a receiver winch and recovery gear. You are going to have a learning experience in setting the rig up. Be carefull on tongue weight.

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_4742.jpg

E loads, trans cooler, redarc, heavy springs and move on… you’ll be fine. Add wd hitch later if you feel it’s needed but at 3500 you might not need it. Im equipped as above and tow 3000 over Loveland and vail passes frequently with no issues.
@URJ150L How is the ride when you don't have the trailer on?

I havent towed much with the 460 but I have a 470 that I have owned for years and have towed quite a bit. I usually tow around 4500 to 5k and have it setup for backroad exploration. I have an OME lift with medium rate springs. I have been very happy. I have towed up some nasty forest service roads. I have a front receiver and carry a receiver winch and recovery gear. You are going to have a learning experience in setting the rig up. Be carefull on tongue weight.

View attachment 2880887

View attachment 2880888
This is great to know. How do the mediums hold the weight of the trailer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom