Full Battery- slow crank- no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I left my battery in my 1992 Prado over the winter. Disconnected it to prevent discharge. I Hooked it up in the spring and all I get are rapid clicks. Purchased a new battery. Used jumper cables to quickly attach the two batteries together and try it out. Now its a Slow and low crank. No start. Is there a oxidized cable to the starter or something that is a common problem on these models?

If you have joined the new battery to the old one and got a slight improvement, I would say the old battery is dead.
They don't normally have a problem if maintained , but cleaning both ends of the cable sometimes works. Look at the bare cable metal, mine went green near where it was joined to the chassis, so I replaced it.

Do a voltage drop test on the cables and it will tell you if it's any good also do a starter load test while your at it. Ground connections are also a good place to check if any poor contact, make sure your battery is fully charge most battery on the shelf is only 70-80% charged.

Corroded starter solenoid?

UPDATE: So new battery installed and charged. IT WAS THE BATTERY! Weird that it would still read 13 volts and crap out...... anyhow. I did have trouble with a loose negative. That was causing the smaller grounds to smoke. Again: weird. Never would have thought. I Tightened up everything. All seems good. Thanks for all of your help!

Weird that it would still read 13 volts and crap out
Not weird at all. A load test is the only way to discern if the battery is good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom