Fuel tank vent??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and remember to make sure that there is a loop in the vent line. so that when you lay it on the side, fuel does not fill the intake.

Diggin around on the web, I found this lil guy....

TPV6

So its a pressure regulated gizmo that you put inline on your vent. I called the distributor cuz this thing is manufactured in Germany...essentially, it opens up when running to allow atmospheric air into it to replace fuel loss space, and when the rig shuts down it closes and will only open if the pressure in the tank rises above a certain pressure and will vent. This (I didnt think about) also assists with starting pressure in the tank.
Now, dude said that though it does prevent fuel from running up into the line, its not 100% effective and a roll over valve would still be recommended.

Any thoughts on it ASIDE FROM THE PRICE. I know its spendy, but if it makes for a safer fuel venting, it would be worth it.

My thought is that it would better than having a constant venting of the tank, and it would not be tied into the air intake system at all, thus squelching any concern of the vent fumes affecting the running conditions of the air fuel mix.

Any thoughts????

I'm sure there are some safer ways of setting up the vent line. I don't know if there is a roll-over valve that you can attach at the end of vent line. I thought most roll-over valves were on the main fuel supply line? Either way if it works then good idea.

Just found this doing a google search...there may be other sources. I think I'll get one too.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuel-Tank-Roll-Over-Vent-Valve,5848.html

Let me ask a stupid question: How did GM handle the tank venting in the vehicle the LS-1 came out of? I assume it had a complicated EGR/EVAP system?

spressomon said:
Let me ask a stupid question: How did GM handle the tank venting in the vehicle the LS-1 came out of? I assume it had a complicated EGR/EVAP system?

Yes! It was regulated via the ECU. So when the tank vented, it vented into the charcoal canister. Off of the charcoal canister, there was a solenoid release valve that was opened at specific times to be released into the intake manifold to be burned.
Not something that I can add back in at this point without d/c'ing the harness and ECU and shipping them back to Howell to get added back in.

Yes! It was regulated via the ECU. So when the tank vented, it vented into the charcoal canister. Off of the charcoal canister, there was a solenoid release valve that was opened at specific times to be released into the intake manifold to be burned.
Not something that I can add back in at this point without d/c'ing the harness and ECU and shipping them back to Howell to get added back in.

A '78 has that setup, but that solenoid is just hooked to engine power.

Allthough my V-8 had some fuel tank evap controls I removed all the emissions related stuff and all of the stuff that the stock I-6 had. So I think the little check valve (post #23) might be a reasonable solution to a somewhat crude setup that I have at least (for safety). Better than just a open line. I don't have any of the controls from either vehicle and for me at least...I'm not willing to "re-engineer" any of that stuff at this point. The 1999 V-8 5.7 I have had a fuel tank pressure sensor which I'm sure is related to the vent process....all of which I removed or did not round up all of the parts to make work.

Elbert said:
Allthough my V-8 had some fuel tank evap controls I removed all the emissions related stuff and all of the stuff that the stock I-6 had. So I think the little check valve (post #23) might be a reasonable solution to a somewhat crude setup that I have at least (for safety). Better than just a open line. I don't have any of the controls from either vehicle and for me at least...I'm not willing to "re-engineer" any of that stuff at this point. The 1999 V-8 5.7 I have had a fuel tank pressure sensor which I'm sure is related to the vent process....all of which I removed or did not round up all of the parts to make work.

I'm with you on the re engineer process, at least till I decide on a direction and find out if it works or not.

Fast Eddy said:
A '78 has that setup, but that solenoid is just hooked to engine power.

So is that evap valve open while running then? Sine the motor is not electronically controlled it's not really applicable to what I'm doing, but I'm curious anyway.

So is that evap valve open while running then? Sine the motor is not electronically controlled it's not really applicable to what I'm doing, but I'm curious anyway.

Yes. I don't see why it's not applicable. You suck a little fumes into the air cleaner when you're running and close the valve so it doesn't stink up the garage when you're not. The amount of fumes going into the intake is not going to affect how it runs.

I went ahead an ordered that valve posted above. Maybe, for nothing more than I THINK it will be a bit "safer" in terms of having some sort of control on the venting of the tank...

So that's where thats at.:meh:

Returning this thread from dead - Any luck running the TPV6 valve?
Need to setup a vent and purge system on my 80 with a LS swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom