Fuel Mileage Questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys, This is my first time in the 70 series section. I recently sold my FZJ80 (1994), and am discussing importing either a BJ74 or an HJ61 with a local importer here in Richmond, VA. (under the 25year rule, full customs release, Virginia Titled, Legitimate imports, no gray market stuff).

Anyway, First and Foremost, Im having somewhat of a problem sifting through information. With so many variations, and individual variations specific to only certain countries, it makes it hard to figure out some of the specifics on the internet. I've been searching for a few days, but I figured I would post up to see if I can get some specific answers.

Im really looking BJ71 and BJ74 variants of the 70 series, I believe, due to them having the 13B-T. This is correct, right? and the 13B-T is the Direct Injected Turbo Diesel 4 Cylinder, correct? My questions concerning those are, Realistically, what are the comfortable highway speeds for these guys? I've read some different opinions on this. Are they available with the 5 Speed, Overdriven manual? Also, Would one of these be capable of towing fairly well, say a lifted Jeep Cherokee on a lightweight trailer, or a 1886 BMW 325is on a trailer? I've read that most people are getting 23mpg or so out of these rigs with the 13B-T, is that accurate? How are parts availability with them mechanically? I know they share some bits with Toyota Pickups, in terms of axle bits and stuff. I'm no stranger to mechanical work, so I'm not worried about someone to work on it, per se, just being able to obtain parts without HUGE waits.

Secondly, I know this is the 70 Series forum, but I'm hoping for some comparison, so Ill ask this in here. I've been looking at 12H-T powered HJ61's (I believe that is the right designation), Now, these are definitely available with the 5 Speed, Overdriven transmission, correct? I believe so. Also, they make a bit more power than the 13B-T, correct? Obviously, I know they are also heavier, which has me questioning the differences. I'm curious about fuel mileage for these as well, seems to me that most say, again, around 23-24mpg with 12H-T powered Big Bodied rigs. What is the top, comfortable highway speed for these guys? I know the parts availability would obviously be much better here in the states, just do to the platform being sold here; at least in terms of suspension, axle, body panels, electrical items, etc. How well do those do with towing? Would one of these be capable of towing fairly well, say a lifted Jeep Cherokee on a lightweight trailer, or a 1986 BMW 325is on a trailer?

Comparing the 70 Series with the 13B-T, and the 60 series with the 12H-T, in otherwords; which is a more practical rig in terms of towing and fuel efficiency? I LOVE the mid-wheel base 2 Door 70's, but I also want to make sure Im getting a good, tough, durable rig that is at least somewhat multifunctional. So long as I have a Double DIN dash opening, can tow my jeep and my BMW some, and have Air Conditioning , I'm good. I obviously know both the 70's and the later 60's have Double Din openings and AC, so my main concerns are towing and efficiency.

Importing, under the 25 year rule means I can import any model made up until the current month, 1989. SO I have been looking at 70 Series, 60 Series, Hilux 4 doors, and Hilux Surfs. I am correct, they didn't make the 4 door, Long Wheel base 70 until a later date, right? One last important note, Anything I import will be JAPANESE Market Variants ONLY. That is solely due to my importer operating between Virginia, USA, and Japan. He isn't connected in the Venezuelan market or the Australian Market.

Any recommendations as to other Diesel Cruiser desginations would be much appreciated. The Difference between HJ, BJ, PZJ, HZJ, etc... is somewhat confusing, so right now I have only been searching for BJ71 and BJ74 (because they have the 13B-T) trucks and the HJ61 (again, because of the 12H-T). Im absolutely dead set on a Turbo Diesel, Manual transmission. SO Lastly, am I looking in the right places, or do I have some more options?

Im very excited to get on the ball, I spoke with the importer throughout the last week, and he is gathering up some prospects for me too look at. He seems very positive that I should be able to get something nice Well within my price range.

EDIT** I figured I should put up my intended uses. I may double post this over in the 60 series forums to get both opinions if I need to. BUT, I am a family man, I have a 4 year old, a wife, and a 45lb dog. I also Whitewater Kayak and we Travel A LOT. We are also avid campers. So the truck will be loaded down with gear and luggage a lot. I will have racks on it, I will haul boats and such. And I'm hoping to be able to tow my 1998 Lifted Jeep Cherokee with it, and also a BMW 325is (1986 model with a 99 M3 motor) that I am about to purchase) with it. So it will definitely be a multi-use vehicle. I suppose I should have put a better title, but hopefully this one will suffice :D Cheers guys!

Thanks in advance for any help and discussion :D I'm excited to be chatting with some of you, and to learn a bit more about these rigs. I'll miss the 80 series forums that I used to lurk around in all the time, but I'm sure you guys will be just as fun!!!

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
My 13BT (BJ74) gets abot 17 mpg around town driving. I have not had it on an extended hiway trip. It will run 70 mph but I need to unplug the buzzer that says I'm going to melt down....:lol: Based on the way it pulls with a 5 speed and 33 inch tires I do not think it is a good choice to tow more than a camp trailer. I have not built a trailer wiring harness/converter yet to see how well it handles my Kimberley Kamper. I think it will be marginal. Compared to a supercharged 80 it's a slug but I love it.

I have a 3bII turboed bj73, 5 speed. If I drive it hard or on the highway cruising around 70 I seem to be around the 18.5+-mpg mark. As I was told a while ago, these trucks are great around the 60-65mph mark. After that fuel economy goes down quite a bit, it seems. If I drive it some what sensible I'm around 19.3-19.8mpg around town. I've yet to really baby it due to the insane traffic here and think I could maybe get 20-21mpg. I have 32x9.5 cooper st/maxxx tires.

My real world experience driving and towing with a BJ74 and stock 13BT. My truck is a 5 speed on 35's with 4:56 gears, this puts it back very close to accurate on the speedometer. I believe stock is 31's and 4:11's. Driving around town is very comfortable and has adequate pick up off the line. I do start off in first gear all of the time. On the Highway I will regularly run 120kmh (74.5mph) at 3000RPM for hours at a time. I never exceed 3000RPM no matter what I am doing.

Towing is very limited!! I tow a Polaris RZR S on a very small aluminium trailer. Total weight is not much over 1500lbs and I wouldnt want to tow any more then that. In perfect conditions yes I can cruise up to 120kmh (74.5mph) but if the wind is blowing or their are hills, I will drop down into 4th gear and run 100kmh (62mph) at 3000RPM. On big climbs such as mountain passes it struggles to hold 80kmh (50mph) in 4th at 2400RPM but will do it. You dont want to lug it down much lower then that because EGT's will sky rocket!! If you cant hold 4th its a big jump down to 3rd and you'll be stuck doing 70kmh (43.5mph) which puts you in the climbing lane with the big trucks and unable to pass them. Hence the reason I say I wouldnt want to tow more.

Mileage like any vehicle is really effected by driving style. Normal city driving puts me in the 17mpg (US gallon=3.78L) range. On the highway at 120kmh (74.5mph) again it is 17mpg. Dropping down to 110kmh (68mph) will put me up to 19 mpg. I have achieved mileage in the low 20's on several occasions by keeping it down to 100kmh (62mph) and driving with a very light right foot but I find this very difficult to do with traffic whipping around me. Towing mileage has landed me between 15-16mpg and thats as good as its going to get.

I have no experience with the 60 series but I think those guys will tell you towing is limited as well. The best you can hope for in that department would be an HDJ80/81. Even then your going to require some mods like an intercooler to achieve the weights you are looking for.
215.JPG

My advice don't buy one of these trucks for towing. Buy a cummins or something to tow vehicles.

I have owned both a BJ71 and a BJ74 and I wouldn't consider either one to be suitable for towing anything other than the lightest of loads.

My advice don't buy one of these trucks for towing. Buy a cummins or something to tow vehicles.

Excellent advice right here. Buy something different to tow with, and buy the cruiser for fun.

I tow a camper trailer with my LWB LJ78. With modifications I'm making about the same power as a 13BT. My trailer is about 2800lbs loaded. Truthfully, I hate towing it. Someone aboved mentioned 1500lbs. I think that number is about right for basically any landcruiser if you want a 'relaxing' tow. Landcruisers are simply not good tow rigs IMHO.

All that said, the HJ61 would be better for towing than the BJ74. Longer wheel base and bigger engine make a big difference.

The other thing that you might worry about with a 74 is carrying too much in a roofrack. I have a little rack on mine but I'd never put a boat on the roof. The gutters on the FRP top are plastic too and I don't think they take that much weight.

I have my Bj74 on 255/85/16 KM2 which are 33". At just over 2000 rpm my road speed is 60mph. The 13BT is fine up to 2600rpm after that the engine roar just gets to much, Plus if you can keep the revs down your motor will last longer. Stock tyres were I think 28" which would be better than 33" for towing, so maybe a 31" might be a happy medium. I get 23mpg around town and 27mpg on highway. The 74 is tidyer truck that a 60 ie. shorter over hangs and narrower track, so should be better for off road. The 60 would be better camping truck because of carrying capacity.
How much does a BJ74 cost landed in the U.S.A.

Last edited:
BobBJ74 ........... How much does a BJ74 cost landed in the U.S.A.

The answer to that varies greatly depending on the quality and the mileage.

Well, Towing definitely wasn't a priority!! I would sometimes tow a small camper, like a pop up camper, a small boat, and occasionally a fourwheeler on a small trailer, but I was curious as to whether it would be able to tow a vehicle when or if the need arose. The BMW is totally street worthy, AC and all.. as is the Jeep. I was just curious about that, but like I said, definitely not a priority. I did however tow cars on flat beds occasionally with my FZJ80. It wasn't awful, I could tow a small car on a fairly heavy flatbed trailer with my Gasoline powered 94 FZJ80 without much of a problem.

So lets just forget the towing part!! haha

we'll move on to other more important points!!! JTarnow, now that is DEFINITELY IMPORTANT. I had no idea they had plastic Drip Rails!!! I will DEFINITELY be needing a roof rack of sorts to haul my kayaks!!! What do people do for roof racks with these guys??? Are there accepted methods that people do?

I wont be able to get an HJ80 for a few years here in the states... thanks to our ridiculous customs practices, unfortunately, but then again, I loved my 80 in many ways, but in other ways, I couldn't ever really get very comfortable in it. 60 series trucks are much more comfortable in my personal opinion, in terms of seating position and such.

I notice none of you guys are stateside, but for those of you in Canada, how is parts availability for 70 series trucks? what is able to cross reference in terms of vehicles that might be here in the states? Im talking about small things, like axle bits, brake bits, boosters, clutches, etc... Obviously if I ever had a fender bender I would be waiting on some sheetmetal for a bit, but that's not a huge deal, as I always have secondary rides.

Another good point, What are some of the typical maintenance items that I may want to consider building a stock of? What are some typical wear or failure points for the 13B-T? what kind of mileage can people expect to get out of these little guys before a rebuild?

Thanks again for all of the responses!! they are very much appreciated in making this decision!!!

1) While they are not plentiful, there are now a growing number of 70 Series in the U.S. ( I am stateside )
2) The roof rack is doable ...." Cruiserdan " can advise you in this area.
3) The 13B-T is very reliable if properly maintained and common items like fuel and oil filters are readily available.
4) I average 19-21 mpg on my BJ74
Drop me a P.M. or a "conversation" as it's now called if I can help.

1) While they are not plentiful, there are now a growing number of 70 Series in the U.S. ( I am stateside )
2) The roof rack is doable ...." Cruiserdan " can advise you in this area.
3) The 13B-T is very reliable if properly maintained and common items like fuel and oil filters are readily available.
4) I average 19-21 mpg on my BJ74
Drop me a P.M. or a "conversation" as it's now called if I can help.

Thank you Sir!! Im definitely familiar with CruiserDan :D I appreciate the offer, I may give you a shout sometime! I haven't made up a decision, but in a way, I may lean towards the HJ61, as it sounds like It may suit my purposes a bit more! I love these 70's though!!! such tough looking little trucks; I really love the utilitarian looks, and even the no nonsense interiors.

I personally love the body of the 60's, but I agree, 70's are GREAT looking trucks!!!

Here is my 74 with a Japanese Aiba Works rack. It is mounted on Thule atrificial gutters that are bolted to the FRP top with 8mm nutserts.

I'm not sure I'd put a boat up there though. I'm in New Mexico by the way.
20140312_095324.jpeg

Beautiful looking 70!!! I really love these trucks!! But yes, I regularly haul 100-150 pounds on my roof racks, depending on how many boats I am carrying. I even had a set of Thule racks on My Subaru WRX STi to carry my whitewater boats around. But my fishing boat is a good 80lbs by itself, without any of my gear.
Here is the Sti with my whitewater play boat, this boat is only around 35 pounds, but it definitely catches some wind!!!

And here is my BIG fishing boat on top of my Cherokee, now this thing is HEAVY!

I also have another whitewater boat that is about 50lbs, and about 8 feet long(the little one is just over 5ft long)... so as you can tell, I definitely need to be able to have a good rack. I suppose if I really wanted a 70, I could pull a very small, lightweight kayak trailer behind it.

This is how my BJ74 is setup, 35''s, 4.11 diffs, 5spd and mods done to the motor, running 24psi boost. On the highway at 100km/h I sit at ~2200rpm which is the max torque point and I can get over 600km to a tank (85-88L) and will hold 5th up mild inclines no worries fully loaded, I probably weigh up around 3000kg. If I sit on 110km/h fuel economy is noticeably worse. Offroad I get around 350km to a tank.

Have not done much towing, only thing of real weight I flat towed a Nissan patrol (4000kg ish) on the highway and had no issue pulling it 80-110km/h in 4th up some decent hills, fuel economy would have been horrendous. If you do some light mods, 3'' exhaust and boost it up to 14ish psi or more it should have no trouble towing a small camper etc. Would not recommend towing the Jeep on a trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom