Fuel haul across the Empty Quarter in Saudi (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was our usual day setup. Morning start just before first sunlight. Pack up camp and head to the next waypoint (18km distance between the waypoints) where we would stop and have our breakfast, waiting for Max to arrive and give us the OK to continue. At the following waypoint we would go firm and prep our day camp, deploy our solar charging gear.
IMG-20200202-WA0017.jpg

Here's max having a break from the sun. Temperatures would reach almost 40 degrees (Celcius) during the day and then crash to 2 degrees during the night. I personally have never experience that sort of change in temperatures ever!
IMG-20200202-WA0010.jpg

On one of the nights just as we were about to set up camp, we encountered a severe sand storm. Nothing anyone of us had ever see before. It was so strong that it had actually blown the sand away from under our cars and caused them to tilt.

IMG-20200202-WA0013.jpg

Will was almost buried by the sand in his swag. This was after we dug him out.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-04 at 09.16.21.jpeg

And then there's the sand....power soft in places (the quick sand as the locals call it) which you can't see or tell. You're driving along and all of a sudden...you start to loose power and you feel as though you're driving through thick mud rather than floating on top of sand. If you weren't on your A-Game and put your foot to the floor, you would end up like this:

IMG-20200202-WA0000.jpg

Nice trip .
I have met Max , during a evening show , in Milan.
Some years ago.
He is really a ultra marathon atlete .
Only thinking to walk /run 72 km gg , is crazy ....
Doing it for 10 days is reaching a high uman limit .
Wish I was with this expedition .
Pls send more pictures if you have .

It's really difficult to get perspective of just how large this desert is. I hope the next couple of pictures gives you an idea
20200201_122510.jpg

20200130_154223.jpg

If I did this trip again...it wouldn't be in a pickup. A bit cramped for someone who's 6'4"
20200117_063841.jpg

This is how Max slept.
IMG-20200202-WA0031.jpg

And then finally when he crossed the Ramlaah on foot
IMG-20200202-WA0034.jpg

I see that the dunes are rather low , is it all like that ?
Umm...these are some of the biggest dunes I've seen. The first 700km were fairly smallish but technical. The last part....serious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom