Fuel Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I have asked this before but I just don’t get it. I have a filter-looks stock-sort of upside-down bowl before the pump then a metal line until about 5 inches before the carb there is another cheap plastic filter. Why on earth is there another filter here?

The one before the fuel pump is standard. There is a metal screen in the fuel inlet to the carb. The extra one you describe is not stock, but not a bad thing to have.

Like Dave said not a bad thing. On a few of my (non cruiser) but none the less highly prized rolling money pits I run 2 filters in line. A metal (no see through) in line post fuel tank and just before the fuel pump and then a glass/clear unit between the fuel pump and before the carb. My 1/2 whitted logic for this is...a) if the metal (1st filter) clogs I'll be able to look at the glass filter and see it or not in this case. b) typically the cause of fuel filter blockage is rust/scale/crude being sucked out of the fuel tank...therefore all things being equal the metal filter between the tank and fuel pump should clog first. I also carry a @ 4" long piece of 3/8 fuel line tubing, should this occur, I remove the clogged first filter, instert the 3/8' fuel line tube and motor away still having the glass fuel filter at work ahead of the carb until I get it back to civilization and install another metal/1st filter.

Much too anal...I know. and yes at some point I'll get around to having both cruisers with the dual filter set up too. Although, I have heard that the glass ones are getting harder to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom