Fuel Filter Water Separator Leak/Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to trace an air leak, I removed my fuel filter for the first time and tried to remove the water separator from the filter. It simply will not budge and I am afraid I will strip it to hell trying to get it off. I have a new one on order. When I tried to wrench it off, I could see fuel "squeezing" out from the plug housing the wires for the electronics, and when I prime the pump, fuel will drip out the petcock drain. I wanted to know how much pressure that primer pump is creating and if that would be inevitable even when I install the new water separator. I am a little pissed that the gorilla that owned my truck before me wrenched every single thing on this truck just to the point of stripping. I even had to take a wrench to my oil fill cap to get it off.

Every diesel I have owned never leaked from anywhere when I primed, if it did, it was usually bad and had to be replaced,because any leak or rupture allows air to enter the fuel system.

I did a rudimentary leak test by installing a temporary clear line from the filter to the pump. Is there supposed to be absolutely no air in that line? I wouldn't know since I definitely have an air leak, but I need to know what to look for in a correct setup.

If you can, try and stick an air nozzle from an air compressor and blow air into the fuel line that connects to the filter and fuel tank. This will pressurize your system and will cause a leak where the air is coming in.

I thought about doing that but didn't know what the tank could take. I figured I would need to know some info before doing something like that. I have no idea what kind of pressure the sending unit can take. I would assume it is a big thread or piece of plastic that can't take much. I would only want to do that with the tank on the ground. But that is next in line if necessary. I will drop the tank first though. I really really hope it is the filter.

Reactions: D0g
If you can, try and stick an air nozzle from an air compressor and blow air into the fuel line that connects to the filter and fuel tank. This will pressurize your system and will cause a leak where the air is coming in.
I wouldnt do that, it will likely cause more leaks by pressurising a system thats designed for vacuum.

Trying to trace an air leak, I removed my fuel filter for the first time and tried to remove the water separator from the filter. It simply will not budge and I am afraid I will strip it to hell trying to get it off. I have a new one on order. When I tried to wrench it off, I could see fuel "squeezing" out from the plug housing the wires for the electronics, and when I prime the pump, fuel will drip out the petcock drain. I wanted to know how much pressure that primer pump is creating and if that would be inevitable even when I install the new water separator. I am a little pissed that the gorilla that owned my truck before me wrenched every single thing on this truck just to the point of stripping. I even had to take a wrench to my oil fill cap to get it off.

Is this the hdj80? They don't have a water separator , they have a water sensor. Water separators are canisters at a low point that catch water, usually attached to the chassis etc

Is this the hdj80? They don't have a water separator , they have a water sensor. Water separators are canisters at a low point that catch water, usually attached to the chassis etc
Yeah I realized I said that later. Even though it is not working. I have to look up the wiring, but my sensor doesn't seem to work. Of course the new plugs on both the heater and the sensor are different ( :bang:), so when I cut them off and crossed them to check my dash, I got nothing. Any chance anyone knows which fuse is being used for the water sensor? It is not a separate fuse so it is combined with something else.

I wouldnt do that, it will likely cause more leaks by pressurising a system thats designed for vacuum.
I did it about a week ago ,and asked you for help removing a hard line which you never responded to, so I'm going to have to disagree with you hard on that one.
PS. I found my air leak in about 5 minutes doing it that way
20210114_140942.jpg

I did it about a week ago ,and asked you for help removing a hard line which you never responded to, so I'm going to have to disagree with you hard on that one.
PS. I found my air leak in about 5 minutes doing it that way
Not in my alerts but I get about a 100 a week and sometimes miss them and never having owned a B engine, I havent ever removed one. I would have found the leak without having to do that. I tend to replace old fuel line before they are a problem.

It is not a separate fuse so it is combined with something else.

If that fuse is blown, it would cause other things to not work. Its annoying when they dont give you a full list of exactly what fuses go where.

If that fuse is blown, it would cause other things to not work.

Good point. Not too worried about it now anyway. But I can't wait till I lose my pump and I am cursing knowing about it on, well, what is the date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom