Frustrated, head gasket, desmog- update 5/13 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any resolution on this?
Us keyboard problem solvers are dying to know
Not as of yet. Been busy finishing up Christmas orders for my leather business. Hoping to get back to it in the next week or so.

Just got time to pull it back into the garage and start looking it over. In the process of checking spark, fuel, etc. I ended up pulling all of the plugs and I still have coolant leaking into the #2 cylinder. Cheap borescope camera shows it leaking between mating surfaces. I should have done the right thing and had the head resurfaced/pressure tested prior to reinstallation but I didn't so here we are.
I did not check the distributor orientation or anything else because at this point I know the head is coming back off anyway. I do know I'm getting spark and fuel. I'm also not 100% confident in my desmog job but not sure how that would have affected starting or not starting. I did keep all of the smog items. (the pump was gutted long ago)

Which leads me to this- We've been talking about moving up to a 100 series for the last year or so. I've gone back and forth on selling the 60 and I'm warming up to it a little more since it will allow me to put more towards a 100.
Two scenarios-
Sell the 60 right now as-is.
Or, get the head done, reinstall and then sell.
My gut tells me that the difference in value between those two is quite a bit. But I'm not sure. Anyone care to throw some ideas out there on value pre-repair and value post repair? '87, Approx. 200k not rusty

Last edited:
I would certainly expect you would get A LOT more if you had a running rig with new head job than a non runner. Just my 2 cents. Sucks to have to go thru all that work again. Sounds like it didn't not even start?? With my own experience I had a huge, end of project, let down with no start issues. Took me three tries to get the dizzy in correctly. She runs and starts great ever since.

I would certainly expect you would get A LOT more if you had a running rig with new head job than a non runner. Just my 2 cents. Sucks to have to go thru all that work again. Sounds like it didn't not even start?? With my own experience I had a huge, end of project, let down with no start issues. Took me three tries to get the dizzy in correctly. She runs and starts great ever since.

Correct, never got it to start. To be fair to myself I was also putting a new clutch and a new head on a 944S at the time so the 60 got pushed to the back burner.

Pretty sure at this point it's down to dizzy orientation, just hard for me to have time to turn wrenches on much of anything anymore. Won't be too bad taking the head back off and getting it right. Just another reminder that I should've had it done when it was off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom