Frontrunner slimline II & ikamper skycamp a (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just want to give a heads up to those who want this set up in the future. I recently purchased both the frontrunner slim line II full length roof rack and Ikamper skycamp 4x RTT. I’d like to say that both companies offer excellent quality products. Frontrunner slim line II is sturdy, great finish, you can tell that it can handle a load, and many accessories (but can also be a downside because you almost have to use their accessories...unless you can mod something). Ikamper skycamp 2.0, is very spacious, easy to set/pack up. small issues I have is that in the front corner there is a slight opening/gap that is covered with a flap but still open to the outside if flap is lifted & place where you insert poles for the front awning seems like it will give problems in the future (holes are small and aluminum is soft) other than that solid tent. Now, as far as compatibility of the two... they aren’t without slight modification (easily done) or get different mounts from frontrunner. I spent to much already on the setup so i decided to work with what ever i had. The problem is that the skycamp 2.0 sits to high on the frontrunner slim line II rack. That being said, you WILL NOT be able to fit the mounts that come with the skycamper unless you flip the front, rear or both end crossbars of the frontrunner rack upside down so that the RTT sits lower. If you do this you will have to pry out the 10mm nuts that are inside the front and rear crossbars and also flip them so that the screws will screw in. this is what I did to make the two work together. I hope this helps! as you can see here i flipped the front crossbar upside down. doing so you will not be able to use the corner covers of the rack.

the larger flap is what is exposed to the outside if lifted up.

Skycamp folded up:

IMG_0692.jpg

Last edited:
Just installed the James Baroud mounts from frontrunner outfitters. It raises the skycamper about an inch. With that said I was able to mount the front runners 2m awning.

View attachment 1962140
View attachment 1962146

View attachment 1962139

I sincerely hope that ikamper releases an aluminum tent of the same folding hardshell design but integrates side strut and top struts for light items. It would make it the ultimate for everything from camping on a weekend to daily driving to overland trips far away. It’s always hard for me to see a 1300$ rack with a 4000$ tent completely covering it up. The factory rails/mounting channels are so strong on a Toyota and I think alu cab go fast and roofnest falcon are a few companies that are starting to realize that the rack needs to become the tent and vice a Versa. Just my .02$. Looks like a very robust and nice set up! I wish I had the coin for this.

I just want to give a heads up to those who want this set up in the future. I recently purchased both the frontrunner slim line II full length roof rack and Ikamper skycamp 4x RTT. I’d like to say that both companies offer excellent quality products. Frontrunner slim line II is sturdy, great finish, you can tell that it can handle a load, and many accessories (but can also be a downside because you almost have to use their accessories...unless you can mod something). Ikamper skycamp 2.0, is very spacious, easy to set/pack up. small issues I have is that in the front corner there is a slight opening/gap that is covered with a flap but still open to the outside if flap is lifted & place where you insert poles for the front awning seems like it will give problems in the future (holes are small and aluminum is soft) other than that solid tent. Now, as far as compatibility of the two... they aren’t without slight modification (easily done) or get different mounts from frontrunner. I spent to much already on the setup so i decided to work with what ever i had. The problem is that the skycamp 2.0 sits to high on the frontrunner slim line II rack. That being said, you WILL NOT be able to fit the mounts that come with the skycamper unless you flip the front, rear or both end crossbars of the frontrunner rack upside down so that the RTT sits lower. If you do this you will have to pry out the 10mm nuts that are inside the front and rear crossbars and also flip them so that the screws will screw in. this is what I did to make the two work together. I hope this helps! as you can see here i flipped the front crossbar upside down. doing so you will not be able to use the corner covers of the rack.

View attachment 1956688

the larger flap is what is exposed to the outside if lifted up.
View attachment 1956692

Skycamp folded up:
View attachment 1956694

View attachment 1956689
Weren't you worried about the wind resistance of ikamper? I was planning to buy these are there are some reviews of it being used in snow. The wind rating is 27Mph which seems to be too low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom