Front wheel bearing noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I came over from the 80 section in search of answers regarding my wife’s 02 sequoia 250k miles Ironman foam cell pro 2” lift with 18 TRD Tacoma wheels and 265/75/16 k02.

We bought this in April, with stock suspension. In don’t think I drove it 50 miles before I installed the lift kit and tires. Since the install I’ve noticed When I turn right, a low grumbling sound coming from the driver front quarter panel area. The install is good, it’s aligned within factory spec, no obvious or glaring issues with any suspension components.

My previous wrenching experience tells me wheel bearing but I have no symptoms other than that growling noise when the weight transfers to the front driver side suspension.
I’ve wiggled the tire up and down, it’s tight.

Looking at the schematic it looks like a sealed bearing, and removing it seems to be a bit of a job, which I’m happy to do but OEM parts range in the $400’s which I’m happy to pay, I just don’t want to load up the parts cannon and still have the noise be there.

Thanks for everybody’s time.

The job itself isn't terrible. A press would be very helpful. Luckily you can pull the hub off and take it to a shop and get it pressed in/out. I would recommend getting Timken bearings. They're about $75 or less each for the Sequoia.

My previous bearing experience has been bearings so bad I could hear them when I turned the wheel off the ground.

Depending on the rust level of your vehicle and access to a press, this is an afternoon job. Go for it.

The job itself isn't terrible. A press would be very helpful. Luckily you can pull the hub off and take it to a shop and get it pressed in/out. I would recommend getting Timken bearings. They're about $75 or less each for the Sequoia.

My previous bearing experience has been bearings so bad I could hear them when I turned the wheel off the ground.

Depending on the rust level of your vehicle and access to a press, this is an afternoon job. Go for it.

I have a 20 ton press and doing the job shouldn’t be too much of a reach for my mostly inept mechanical abilities.

Troubles for me is troubleshooting and diagnostics. I’d hate to put all the work in to have the issue be something else. Considering taking it to a shop for diagnosis and doing the labor myself.

I have a 20 ton press and doing the job shouldn’t be too much of a reach for my mostly inept mechanical abilities.

Troubles for me is troubleshooting and diagnostics. I’d hate to put all the work in to have the issue be something else. Considering taking it to a shop for diagnosis and doing the labor myself.

Sure, I understand. Considering it's a wear item and you have 250K on it, you might as well do both the front wheel bearings. If you can't recreate it by manipulating the ball joint, suspension or uca and you don't see obviously worn or torn bushings in the front suspension, I would say the wheel bearing is probably your culprit.

Do you have a mechanic stethoscope? That might help you hear if it's grinding in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom