Front seat repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am contemplating having the front seats repaired at a local upholstery shop. I have the typical driver's side bolster issue and the foam is pretty well toast in both seats (especially driver's side). My thought is to have the shop replace the fabric on the bolster on the bottoms and the tops with vinyl to match the sides, and repair the foam on both seats. Has anyone done this? I'd like to see some pics to see if it will look OK. I have brown interior so the vinyl would be brown.
In the pic, the hatched areas would all be brown vinyl on both seats.
I have read a lot about seat swap options, but I'm leaning towards keeping it more original, but without breaking the bank.

thanks,
marc

IMG_4916 sketch.jpg

FJ60 seats were an abomination of uncomfortableness the day the vehicle rolled off the factory floor- brand spankin new. They really were and are horrible seats.

If you don’t want to spend much money, just throw a new big cushy bath towel over them and poke the head rest through it to hold it up. New cotton towels feel really nice, absorb sweat and are easy to clean and replace.

Otherwise…

Spend a lot of money and replace the entire seats with a different make from a different manufacturer (is my suggestion).

I purchased my ‘86 FJ60 in 1988 and it was like new. Seats like new. After one trip to Mexico - I vowed to replace those seats no matter what it took… in 1989. So I did. Best upgrade I ever did. The original seats are bad for your back.

FJ60 seats were an abomination of uncomfortableness the day the vehicle rolled off the factory floor- brand spankin new. They really were and are horrible seats.

If you don’t want to spend much money, just throw a new big cushy bath towel over them and poke the head rest through it to hold it up. New cotton towels feel really nice, absorb sweat and are easy to clean and replace.

Otherwise…

Spend a lot of money and replace the entire seats with a different make from a different manufacturer (is my suggestion).

I purchased my ‘86 FJ60 in 1988 and it was like new. Seats like new. After one trip to Mexico - I vowed to replace those seats no matter what it took… in 1989. So I did. Best upgrade I ever did. The original seats are bad for your back.
Very true my back starts to ache after about an hour. No lumbar support at all.

Had my interior replaced recently, Brown. Shop struggled to get anything comfortable with seat foam. Even with the trimming and cleanup it was no better. If you or your guy is good at structural foam work worth a shot, I spent the first year with a small pillow, every stop was torture to stand up. Pulled the seats out and bolted In Smitty. Bolted both seats in easy and comfortable. I’d have loved to keep stock but life is short. If you’re near DFW holler I’ll be glad to meet to show you what all I did with seats, I have my stock seats covered but can check them out to get an idea. The vinyl strips down both sides would look nice though. Entry side may take it harder. This is the CruiserCorp covers in rear and scheduled to have front seats covered to match soon

F86F18B7-6667-4700-8021-74F2B6D0AED7.jpeg

1324EF19-785D-4AD8-A5EB-BFB40BEA6BAA.jpeg

The PO did the vinyl sides thing you are talking about in your first post to my seats in my 60. The centers still tore up. Ive since taken them out and sold them. They were super uncomfortable.

heres a pic from when i was removing them and replacing with aftermarket seats
VEXC6TGl.jpg

Well I guess I am stubborn, or determined to learn the hard way, because I went ahead and had the seats redone. The shop replaced all the vinyl and wrapped the bolsters, leaving the original fabric in the center so it all matches the rest and the door cards, etc.. I think it looks really nice. They are definitely better. The shop added extra foam in the bolsters and that helps a lot, although truthfully they are still a little lacking in lumbar support (which I am sure is how they were originally). Although the back seat was in pretty decent shape they did the same on it so it all matches. They also fixed the common issue of the bracket breaking its spot welds on the driver right side by welding it back together. Overall pretty happy with it.

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom