front output shaft issue sm420 and toy tc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my '66 40 has a 350 mated with a sm420 and a toy tc. I discovered while placing the drivelines and engine swap in over the last week or so, that my front TC output yoke is smaller than the traditional Toyota flange. It is a spicer 1100 I believe. Due to the bulge in the sm420 just in front of the output flange, I now understand why the PO has this installed. Is there anything currently that I could swap out with the current output shaft to make it stronger and give me more options than why I have currently?

From what I discovered today, I only have two if I continue with the spicer 1100 it is 2 3/8" travel or 3 3/8" travel on this thin flange yoke... thus the reason for the question.

Thanks for the help,

Post up pictures of this u-joint...

32820464017_medium.jpg

32820464016_mediuml.jpg

32820464015_medium.jpg

This is what I am talking about. I talked to Georg last night about it my situation and told he that it was common to do due to the sm420 bulge in front to the output shaft and brought it over to the driveline shop today to get the measurements to make sure it was the spicer 1100 but he didn't know about swapping it out with a different output.

The most commonly encountered flange with the sm420 is the Toyota 3 speed flange. Ir requires grinding about 1/8 inch off the tranny bulge.

Hi All:

Have to say that those pics sure look like Land Cruiser J30 (three-speed transmission) era flanges to me.

Regards,

Alan

32820464018_medium.jpg

Maybe this is a better shot of the difference in size. I have 2.25 center to center in the short side, the center circle is 2.75. The u joint attaching the the driveshaft states Spicer with "A5R R738" The flange on the inside states "A5 R16".

Hi All:

That Spicer u-joint is tiny! :eek: Must be an old Jeep CJ u-joint! :lol:

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom