Front LCA Skids - Is anyone running them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am undecided on Running them.
I have a set, which came with a a set of full underbody skids I bought... (picture is the paint not he upper side of the skids that I am doing... not pictured is the rear underbody plate)

On the plus side they looks like they will protect the alignment cam tabs which is super important since they are exposed as well as the lower shock mounts.
they are 1/4" plate.. so beefy skids

On the negative side: it is unsprung weight probably 8-10lbs each which is really a lot of unsprung weight...

what is the consensus..

IMG_3001.jpeg

I am undecided on Running them.
I have a set, which came with a a set of full underbody skids I bought... (picture is the paint not he upper side of the skids that I am doing... not pictured is the rear underbody plate)

On the plus side they looks like they will protect the alignment cam tabs which is super important since they are exposed as well as the lower shock mounts.
they are 1/4" plate.. so beefy skids

On the negative side: it is unsprung weight probably 8-10lbs each which is really a lot of unsprung weight...

what is the consensus..

View attachment 3569701
The 200’s feont LCAs are CRAZY robust.
I finally replaced mine for non-damage-rated reasons…but I cam tell you that’s I ‘ e whacked the originals HARD many many times under massive weight…and nothing phased them.

So I’d say skip it.

Also… Besides adding weight to an object you want to move as freely and easily as possible…adding guards will mean you hit them even more.

Skip em.

Invest the weight, time, and money in larger tires so you reduce the chance of LCA contact in the first place.

Thanks Mark & TeCKis300, I am most likely going to skip them - really the only advantage I see in them is protecting the Alignment Cam tab's ... I'll probably just weld those to reenforce them.

Since they came as part of a larger deal, its not a question of $ or time really (3 bolts/each)... I think I will get them mocked up with the mounting HW and then just stash them in my parts stash for now...

The Skids I have are also super thick 1/4" plate, they will probably be changed out to the lighter Aluminum EE ones in the future.
And I may not even use the rear one... it's bigger than the front one. For my uses and the weight of the thing, I probably don't need it. I'll make that call when I get the front fitted (pictured), post lift.

Tires will be 34's (now 33's) but that's about the max for this truck and what I am doing (I have another truck for more serious rock crawling) .

I’d only use these if you’re planning some major rock bashing. Like Mark I’ve hit or dragged my LCA a few times and there is virtually no noticeable damage.

Agreed... I mocked them up and painted them.. once I get the rest mounted I'll put these in the storage pile...
My truck is not being built for major rock crawling..
I am going to add the Koan Rear shock armor though... (and not the CBI version I also have...)

Incidentally.... CBI has not been able to help with any guidance on what they used the secure the skids or anything that I have..
So it is a figure it out luckily they seem to standardize on 3/8 and 1/2 carriage bolts for anything that is not OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom