front end questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 1985 fj60. The drivers side front tire is worn bald on the inside edge of the tire. In addition when you look at the front end the drivers side tire leans in. The car obviously pulls as well. I was under the truck greasing it last night and did notice any broke springs or obvious signs of worn parts. Any ideas of likely causes? The truck also does not appear to be sagging to one side at all. My drivers side inner axle seal seems to be leaking if that gives any extra clues.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

you did or didnt "notice any broke springs or obvious signs of worn parts"

sounds like some bad wheel bearings too me, this calls for front axle rebuild.

could also have something with the tie rod ends but im pretty sure its a wheel bearing

best thing would be to jack up the tire and grab the wheel and check for movement, could be the knuckle bearings, could also be a bent axle. or as stated above the wheel bearings.

either way, find the problem and fix it, probably a good idea not to drive it anymore until fixed, especially if it is pulling to one side.

I did not see anything obvious. I was afraid that I was going to hear axle rebuild. I can handle the task no sweat but I am in the middle of remodeling my home shop/garage. Money time and space are tight but believe me I don't mean to whine. I just got this 60 from northern california from the original owner for $500 and it is super clean. It is now in Chicago awaiting a new garage to rest in.

I think that it is the knuckle bearings. Even with weight on the wheel I can can get some movement out of the wheel from the top.

If'n it was mine, I'd support the front axle solidly, then watch the wheel
as I loaded it up with a jack. This would be easier if I had friends so one
could hold the brakes on, but I don't so I'd probably just be careful with the
jack.

If it's the knuckle bearing, you'll see the whole hub move with the knuckle.
If it's the wheel bearing (less likely, I think) the knuckle won't move.
If something's bent, you shouldn't see any movement. But you might see
things that are distorted if you compare left to right...

for that kind of money, I wouldn't mind finding I had to put in new knuckle bearings.
sounds like a good deal- mine was twice that, not running.

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom