Front End Problems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's one for all the trouble shooters out there:

I'm trying to diagnose a sound coming from my front end that occurs only when I hit a good sized bump in the road or a series of bumps (speed bumps, potholes, etc...). Best way to describe it is that it sounds something like a rattle or knock, like something is loose. I haven't been able to reproduce the sound with the truck stopped and me pushing and pulling on various parts and pieces under the front end.

Here are the variables to consider:
• both knuckles completely rebuilt last month (sound was present before and after this repair)
• both locking hubs and wheel bearings serviced and repacked with grease last month
• new shocks & steering stabilizer - Aug '03
• all new polyurethane bushings throughout suspension system - Aug '03
• castor shims under front springs
• front springs (OME's) shift in spring pack and "clunk" when turning wheel left-to-right (different sound from one described above)
• power steering gear box has been leaking since rig purchased 2 years ago
• running 1/4" spacers on front wheels, if this has anything to do with it.....

What I've done/checked:
• checked and re-torqued all suspension components/hardware as neccessary
• visually inspected and pushed/pulled/etc... on drag link and steering linkage
• made up new #%$& words and scratched a bald spot on my scalp trying to peg this problem

Questions:
• could this noise be related to my leaky PS gear box?
• what about a worn steering shaft/steering shaft u-joint?
• worn tie rod ends?
• related to my "clunking" front springs & castor shims?

My dog is puzzled by my new vocabulary......anybody have any good thoughts on this one?

Thanks for the help,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

A guess or 2: tighten the relay rod ends (grease them, remove cotter pin, tighten all the way until snug, back off 1/2 turn. Jack the truck up then re tighten the spring bolts. Check if the relay rod and tie rod ends are rubbing against each other when jarred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom