Front axles seal vs knuckle seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Don't remember seeing this discussed explicitly...
Is it reasonable to assume that the 2 types are designed for the same life expectancy, and that when one fails the other is likely to be on its way out too? Of course, there are many parameters in play, but I'm wondering if seeing the knuckle seals in worn condition would likely imply the axle seal is on its way out too... Or is the outside one just more exposed to the elements and therefore generally failing earlier?
I'm thinking about this in terms of trouble indicators and advance notice.
(and yes, if it's opened up it's probably a good idea to do both anyways...)
thanks
E

I suspect the only reason the outer seal would be more exposed to the elements would be if any of the other seals had failed, in which case you'd be doing a front axle service anyway (or suffering the consequences of your frugality later on).

IMO, all the work is in getting to the seals, not in the replacement of the seals or the cost of the seals. So it's kind of crazy to do all that work and not replace both seals while you're there.

But I can't authoratativly answer the question you posed regarding life expectancy. I just assume they're both about the same (they don't look much different too) in terms of durability and plan to replace both of them whenever I visit the axle.

No correlation between the 2.

I may have used the wrong terminology, sorry. By axle seal I meant the one inside the tube on the axle that keeps the oil diff out -the evil one-, and by knuckle seals I meant the multilayer wiper seals visible on the outside of the round rotating piece, those that keep the grease inside the knuckle.

I understood. My answer is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom