Front Axle Replacement - OEM or Rebuilt?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by vjr021, Jul 12, 2018.

1. vjr021

vjr021

Media:
    Albums:
    Just got my oil changed, looks like my front axles are starting to leak... Question:

Detroit Axles has them for $75 each and between this write up: Front Axle (CV) Assembly Replacement and my factory manuals, seems like an easy repair.

Dealer wants $220 an axle (actually decent price for over the counter) as well as $149 labor.

Either way, I may do the labor, but any feedback on rebuilt vs new OEM axles?

thanks!!

fooldall1 likes this.
  2. BEG

BEG

Rebuilt OEM CV axles will have the grooves in the joint milled out and larger balls installed to freshen it up, as well as new grease, boots etc. The issue is that nothing can really be done about the worn splines at either end. You can get new hub flanges but they will wear faster since all of the other splined connections could still be loose.

New OEM axles will be fresh from end to end. The price your dealer quoted is at least $100 cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else. If that's for a complete OEM axle, I'd say jump on it for sure.

bentonrover likes this.
  3. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Why not just reboot the current CV's?

4. vjr021

vjr021

Media:
    Albums:
    That's what I thought as well... They owe me big time from when they broke my spacers, so I am calling in the favor now.

Only issue is I have to pay for them to do it, but I suppose its not the biggest issue.

5. vjr021

vjr021

Media:
    Albums:
    1. I don't know how long they have been leaking
    2. with 260k+ miles, likely those axles need to be refreshed.

6. BullElk

BullElk

I recently replaced one axle. I got a Cardone Select (lifetime warranty) for $71 from Amazon. Labor was $120

7. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Go OEM, several posts here about aftermarket leaking quickly or having balance problems. If you can get Toyota OEM CV's for $220, jump on it.

PDPerry likes this.
  8. Tanner H

Tanner H

Media:
    lots of threads on here about this. check them all out until your eyes start bleeding.

general consensus: rebuild the existing oem ones if they aren't clicking, or buy oem.

reasons why people go oem over aftermarket:
    -vibration issues on ''most'' aftermarket axles (a few guys on here have zero vibration issues)
    -oem axles utilized a 6-ball cage design that is superior on lifted applications, most aftermarket axles utilize a 3-ball cage.

9. timdgsr

timdgsr

Yep, that price sounds pretty good. Make sure the dealer isn't quoting re-man'd ones at that price.

10. fooldall1

fooldall1

Albums:

The Detroit Axle are OEM remans, to the best of my knowledge. I have one, been flawless.

11. BullElk

BullElk

I will be sure to report back about my aftermarket Cardone axle.

12. reznunt

reznunt

Reporting back with my $80 Napa axles (says Cardone Industries on the limited lifetime warranty). It's been 14 months and 13k miles and no issues so far. No clicking, no leaks, no vibration. I bought these as a temporary fix because I couldn't swing the $700 for OEM at the time.

PabloCruise and BullElk like this.
  13. Enrique Sonora

Enrique Sonora

Media:
    Where would the best best online to buy OEM axles for my LX 470 2003. I don't have any issues with the axles, but do have a torn boot with gray grease splashed in areas. Also, I believe there is oil leaking from the seals where the axles attach to the diff.

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.