Front Axle Noise/Grinding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To me a noise or groan that starts 35 mph to 55 mph indicate drive line. Brakes & bearing are a constant noise with a pitch change as you go faster.

I guess you can feel it around 15-20 in parking lots too given the right circumstances, typically some sort of sweeping turn to the right. Def changes feel/pitch with speed not a constand groan.

To me a noise or groan that starts 35 mph to 55 mph indicate drive line. Brakes & bearing are a constant noise with a pitch change as you go faster.

I guess you can feel it around 15-20 in parking lots too given the right circumstances, typically some sort of sweeping turn to the right. Def changes feel/pitch with speed not a constand groan.

I'm having the same too! What the he'll is it? It starts as I accelerate and I can stop it by straightening out or dumping the throttle.

I apologize if this was said before, but have you tried removing the front driveshaft, locking the center diff, and driving around? If that stops the noise it's driveline related. If that doesn't stop the noise, remove the drive flanges. If the noise is still present you've ruled out everything in the front axle and it might be t-case related.

@T4RBoarder @Berzerker76 Any updates on what the problem was? Or anyone else for that matter? I have the same issue come up again this morning. First happened to me for a day last year, 500 miles into a trip up to Santa Rosa CA. Took it to a MUD recommended shop in Norcal but they could not reproduce/resolve the problem. Never happened again until today on my way into work. Ironically just finished a camping trip (300 miles round trip) last week and today was the first time really driving it. Was able to capture the sound today. I was coming to a stoplight from 35 mph to 0. I'm gonna start with greasing the knuckles today and see what happens.

Last edited:
There is a recent thread that reads very similar. Fella tried it all, almost.
When the u-joints finally got greased the noise went bye bye.
So if you haven't greased up the universal joints...

I experienced similar some 7isch years ago, only in special conditions. Did a lot of work, inc spindle bushings. It kept coming back. One day I got the noise in completely different situstion, so started thinking differently. Found a loose bracket in the front bumper, fixed it, noise gone. I hope...

I have something akin to this and it has driven me nuts. I will post anything I find. Truck is going to IPOR this week and hopefully they'll have a clue to the source.

@T4RBoarder @Berzerker76 Any updates on what the problem was? Or anyone else for that matter?

Sorry for the delay. I'm not on the board much these days. I did find the source of the noise and in my case, I was way off. It turned out to be my front catalytic converter vibrating/rubbing on my recently installed rock sliders. The cats are aftermarket and therefore don't line up correctly with the armor on the slider and were making contact under throttle. In my defense, the noise was very much akin to grinding I've heard in the past on other vehicles with grenaded bearings and the like. Maybe do a quick rundown on your exhaust system and see if anything is rubbing or making contact, it worked for me. LOL!

@T4RBoarder @Berzerker76 Any updates on what the problem was? Or anyone else for that matter? I have the same issue come up again this morning. First happened to me for a day last year, 500 miles into a trip up to Santa Rosa CA. Took it to a MUD recommended shop in Norcal but they could not reproduce/resolve the problem. Never happened again until today on my way into work. Ironically just finished a camping trip (300 miles round trip) last week and today was the first time really driving it. Was able to capture the sound today. I was coming to a stoplight from 35 mph to 0. I'm gonna start with greasing the knuckles today and see what happens.

No updates for me...doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, or better for that matter, but definitely not as loud as yours seems to be. Besides the axles seeping I've checked everything I can think of on the front end short of removing the driveshaft.

No updates for me...doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, or better for that matter, but definitely not as loud as yours seems to be. Besides the axles seeping I've checked everything I can think of on the front end short of removing the driveshaft.

any luck figuring this out? i have a similar problem on a 100 series came across your post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom