Front Axle Lug Nuts - P/N 90942-01007 for 60 Series - Parts Gurus Please Set Me Straight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
Simple thing here and surely asked before but I couldn't find it specifically. Trying to get OEM lug nuts from local dealer for my Oct '84 FJ60. They didn't have the 90942-01047 lug nuts available in a timely way, so they punted to 90942-01007 claiming this nut was the 'open' version of the 90942-01047 nut. I had to get my order in for time so I just went with it. Looking at it now however I am not sure this is the right part. I think my dealer lies. Shocking I know. The 90942-01007 nut seems to be sort of a generic lug nut that fits multiple vehicles and has an A, B, and C version available. These physically fit on my studs but various parts sites say it doesn't fit my truck. This might simply be because these are generic and not SPECIFIC to the 60 series. Have seen where these are listed for 40/55 series.

Recently broke some wheel studs so trying to be extra careful to get the correct parts and not repeat past mistakes (perhaps its too late). I think these will work fine but just want confirmation these will indeed work with the OEM wheel studs. Otherwise I'll source the proper Acorn nuts elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

The original Toyota lug nuts that originally came with the 60 are both ugly and lame. They were zinc plated closed acorn nuts.
Just get some nice longer chrome plated nuts from your local Autoparts store. McGuard makes some really nice ones and they look great.

The "A" version of the 90942-01007 is a compatible nut for the studs and wheel. Fits any Toyota from 1969 to 2021.
If it has a conical seat against the wheel and the threads match, it's good.

image.png

Last edited:
The original Toyota lug nuts that originally came with the 60 are both ugly and lame. They were zinc plated closed acorn nuts.
Just get some nice longer chrome plated nuts from your local Autoparts store. McGuard makes some really nice ones and they look great.

The "A" version of the 90942-01007 is a compatible nut for the studs and wheel. Fits any Toyota from 1969 to 2021.
If it has a conical seat against the wheel and the threads match, it's good.

View attachment 2763667

Thanks as always @OSS. This was my suspicion but wanted to be sure. I appear to have the 'B' version:

IMG_6695.jpg
IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6697.jpg

This looks the same to me as the acorn variety just without the cap. Any benefit to having the cap on there? Does it prevent overtightening or something? Prevent corrosion? I think these I have look fine so will prolly go with them.

I realize I am getting kinda ticky tacky with the details, but having these studs break, while most likely something I did, still have me a bit gun shy and trying avoid another error. Appreciate the responses.

Yeah, the closed nuts protect the stud from rusting. Thats the only real benefit - and looks.
If a drop of boiled linseed oil is placed on the exposed stud threads after the open ended nut is tightened, they won't rust. The oil eventually hardens up to a weatherproof flexible coating. Doesn't stay oily for long.

I used these on all my trucks. Great value and very good quality and YELLOW zinc (purdier)....

But also depends on what wheels you are using.

Yes, agreed here. I would do the exact same if they were in stock. These were a much better value than the OEM ones. I went with the Toyota ones because they were available. I am sure I can find them somewhere but unless there is a compelling reason to not go with the ones I got, I will prolly just go with those. Will go well with the 40 series steelies I have on there.

IMG_6018.jpg
IMG_6019.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

With steelies, I'd def go with the open nut. Before I got the ones from CC, I used some stainless ones that were Gorilla brand, IIRC ...

But who looks at your nuts anyway ? :grinpimp:

I just ordered the ugly, lame acorn nuts off Partsouq a month or so ago, fwiw.

FWIW - my '87 FJ60 and '89 FJ62 both came from the factory with these black acorn nuts with integral black plastic caps. So, not all 60s came with chrome nuts, open or closed.

DSCN5076.JPG

DSCN5078.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom