Front and Rear Rotors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my F&R rotors. I've seen tons of slotted and drilled rotors on sale for roughly $4-500 on ebay. Is there any type of performance rotor I should avoid? Is this an easy fix for a DIYer?

i used Brembo rotors, front and rear. Stock type rotors. They work fine. The rears are a piece of cake. The front is a PITA.

Brake Upgrade

I went with ART rotors based on some Mud recommendations. I have had the fronts & rears on, with new pads and SS brake lines, for about 6 months and I am very happy so far. My goal was better performance and longer life. The performance is better than stock. Only time will tell if they last longer, but ART claims 200% increase in rotor AND pad life - that's equal to 3 sets of stock brakes. If they come anywhere near that they'll be an absolute bargain, especially when the labor is factored in.

These guys are great to work with, but all rotors are custom made and lead time is about 4 weeks on average - could be 2 could be 6 or 7. It depends on when you place your order relative to their manufacturing cycle.

www.appliedrotortechnology.com

Some have used the Powerstop rotors sold by Slee with success and happiness, I too am thinking about going this direction.
$129 each + Pads but Slee does not have the pads price on the website.

I went with ART rotors based on some Mud recommendations. I have had the fronts & rears on, with new pads and SS brake lines, for about 6 months and I am very happy so far. My goal was better performance and longer life. The performance is better than stock. Only time will tell if they last longer, but ART claims 200% increase in rotor AND pad life - that's equal to 3 sets of stock brakes. If they come anywhere near that they'll be an absolute bargain, especially when the labor is factored in.

These guys are great to work with, but all rotors are custom made and lead time is about 4 weeks on average - could be 2 could be 6 or 7. It depends on when you place your order relative to their manufacturing cycle.

www.appliedrotortechnology.com

I'm notoriously hard on brakes...and with all the mods, driving style, road/trail conditions and a trailer thrown in for good measure...just turned 58K on the ART rotors with nearly imperceptible wear (!!!); just installed the first set of front pads and the second set of rear pads.

Nice. How much for the ART or the bembro rotors? How difficult is the front end? I'm fairly good with minor repairs for my LC.

Nice. How much for the ART or the bembro rotors? How difficult is the front end? I'm fairly good with minor repairs for my LC.

I don't know what the current price is for ART's. I would guess around $900-$1,000 for all 4 cryo'd slotted rotors, real pads all the way around and shipping.

If you live in or your rig came from the rust belt you will also want to replace the anti-rattle OEM brake shims as they get corroded quickly in salt environs. The rears are easy. The front rotors require removal of the hub. There are a number of threads on this subject.

Brembo Longevity & pad rattling

Has anyone had experience with Brembo for any lengthy period of time. I recently had a cheap set of disks warp after 6 months so I'm very skeptical right now.

Also, my front pads rattle like crazy. Will the replacement OEM shims fix that?

Thanks!
Kevin

I just ordered the whole brake package from man-a-fre... DBA cross drilled and slotted, heat treated rotors and ceramic pads all the way around... total shipped to my door was $545! The rotors look fantastic... (hate to install them on the cruiser...:lol:). Butt this whole paacke was tested and approved by Boston Mangler...

I just saw that hte 4000 series DBA's are on clearance sale at Man-a-Fre - $245 for the front with ceramic pads, checking on shipping.

Was the kit the 4000's? I was a tad confused on their site so I shot them an email.

I ended up going with the SP Performance Slotted. $365.85 for front and rear with tax and shipping. They'll be here in a few days. I almost forgot what it's like to stop on a rotor that's not warped. I'll be like a brand new truck.

I too just ordered from Man-A-Fre. Picked up a full set of 4000's (slotted front and slotted/drilled irear). They also set me up with new bearings and seals. Although they had the cheapest 4000's, they don't have the cheapest deal - it's just a matter of timing and shipping cost. I found that AutoAnything had a great deal on PowerSlots ($429 for the set, free shipping), but they had to be manufactured first, meaning I wait 6 weeks for the parts. Man-A-Fre stocks the parts so for $80 more I get them next week. For me, shipping is over $100 because I'm on the East coast.

Overall this break job is costing a fortune, but I can't wait to have new, smooth, braking. Sadly, my wife is ready to cut off the bank on this truck this year - timing belt, water pump, tires, brakes - all within 4 months. I think I'm going to have build my own sliders and bumpers. Still need the suspension upgrade.

Like Spressomon, I also installed the ART cryo slotted rotors w/ Porterfield R4s pads. So far, so good. The Porterfield R4s pads last a long time. I've had a set on my 4runner for 7 yrs (85K mi), so far about 50% worn (brembo rotors [non-cryo] are about 50% worn, too). Performance is better than stock...the harder/longer you brake, the better they grip. In LA, say you're going 75 in the freeway and have to suddenly brake hard for gridlock, then immediately speed up to 35, brake again, the stock pads/rotors will have major fade the second time you brake. Not w/ the ART's w/ porterfield pads. Oh, I also installed stoptech braided stainless hoses plus had a custom Earl's hose made from the frame to rear diff housing since the stoptech kit only contains hoses for the 4 calipers. Brake feel is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom