Friend Selling '08 - Curious Abt This One (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an oportunity to buy this but I am not at all familiar with these and never thought I'd consider one but this is intesting. Would you mind offering your opinion about this? It'd be an extra vehicle eventually but DD for 3 months. Other than the TRD components, he didn't specify the brand of lift, wheels, tires, shocks, but price would've been no object so presume it all top-of-the-line. Certainly seems like a solid deal...?

2008 FJ Cruiser
61,000 miles
Black
TRD Supercharger and software
TRD Airbox
Toyota headers and exhaust
New shocks and struts
3" lift
Upgraded wheels / tires (pic below)

$27,000

2008 FJ Cruiser.jpeg

Looks like a fine specimen.
Thanks BMThiker. Is that the right price neighborhood for one of these with the aformentioned adds? I am 100% certain that he wold have spared no expense doing anything. That's the only picture I have for now.

I can't speak for that as I have not kept up with today's market.
Gotcha. I think he's realistic about having spent $9500 on the SC work and $3500 on suspension wheele tires (zero value to me) and the fact that he isn't going to recover most of those sunk costs but ya never know the rubber hits the road. Thanks again.

Anything after market generally adds no future value. $10k on an SC adds nothing to NADA/KBB. Nice to have maybe, but value is in the eye of the beholder (or the guy that spent the money in the first place). A dealer, e.g., won't increase trade value for a lift or SC except 'on paper' gains, usually by inflating the sales cost of the vehicle being purchased.

As for the rig? I'd remove those bull bars first thing: they reduce approach and departure angles.

And - KBB says the value is: $15,000 to $17,500.

ps: I would add a nickel or two for the SC and extra power it brings for long cross country trips. Stock has barely enough power for freeway use: even slight grades mean a lot of shifting.

Last edited:
1. Looking at just that image I wouldnt assume suspension ect is top of the line just because he put on a bunch of cheap accessories (yeah those wheels too)

2. Superchargers are quite sought after and will only continue to be....the low miles keep this one special.

I think its worth 21 or 22 without the SC.... Maybe 25 with, so 27 isnt a stretch. If the underside is 61K miles clean, and they have maintenance records its a catch!. even with the miles basically every fluid and some other things need to have been done to really make it cream of the crop.

1. Looking at just that image I wouldnt assume suspension ect is top of the line just because he put on a bunch of cheap accessories (yeah those wheels too)

2. Superchargers are quite sought after and will only continue to be....the low miles keep this one special.

I think its worth 21 or 22 without the SC.... Maybe 25 with, so 27 isnt a stretch. If the underside is 61K miles clean, and they have maintenance records its a catch!. even with the miles basically every fluid and some other things need to have been done to really make it cream of the crop.
I would agree but I know this fellow. It was purchased for his son then sat in the garge for 5 years just taken out a cople of times/yr to run it. Yeah, those wheels....ugh. Not to mention the tires...the wheels were probably the kid's idea. He changed fluids, kept up with maintenance and has every piece of paper since new...even when it was sitting. Frankly, these aren't my cup-of-tea looks wise but if I can buy it and it holds me over for a few months then tuen around a sell it without losing $, great.

Another side bar: is it 4WD, an auto or manual, and does it have the off-road kit and upgrade packages (A-Trac, VSC, etc.)??

-- and check around for prices: $27k seem very high.

ps: then there's this listing: $17.5k, 100k miles.

Last edited:
Another side bar: is it 4WD, an auto or manual, and does it have the off-road kit and upgrade packages (A-Trac, VSC, etc.)??

-- and check around for prices: $27k seem very high.

ps: then there's this listing: $17.5k, 100k miles.
Automatic, 4x4, not sure about packages. Thanks!

So long as its got the locker you are good. It has the convenience package at least, and its a desirable color. If you could get it down a little bit and take care of it for a few years might actually see them making a killing on BAT come your sell time.

So long as its got the locker you are good. It has the convenience package at least, and its a desirable color. If you could get it down a little bit and take care of it for a few years might actually see them making a killing on BAT come your sell time.
Thanks for that insight. I try not to consider appreciation/depreciation (too much) when buying motor vehicles unless it is expressly for collecting. In this case since I know the seller and trust what he has done/maintained even though I don't care for the look if it is actually going to appreciate from $27K, that is important as I won't keep it more than a year I'd guess. It's to hold me over till my new truck is built.

I think $27k, for what it has in regards to maintenance and upgrades is pretty reasonable. The prices on these are not falling as they age, and in a lot of areas the prices seem to be on the rise.
A guy around the way from me sold what was basically my trucks twin for $25k. He had 100k+ miles on it, but it had a couple of things like a rooftop tent (worthless IMO), a small lift, and a rezfab front bumper.
I think you've found a pretty good buy.

I think $27k, for what it has in regards to maintenance and upgrades is pretty reasonable. The prices on these are not falling as they age, and in a lot of areas the prices seem to be on the rise.
A guy around the way from me sold what was basically my trucks twin for $25k. He had 100k+ miles on it, but it had a couple of things like a rooftop tent (worthless IMO), a small lift, and a rezfab front bumper.
I think you've found a pretty good buy.
Good to know. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely buy it, drive for a bit then sell when my truck arrives. I'll post it here and off we go.

Thanks!

Where do you guys live that a 2008 FJ is selling for $27,000? I'll take my truck there when I go to sell it.

Play with the filters, and 2007 to 2009 4x4 FJ's are $18,500 or less. A bit higher mileage, but not $10,000 more.

ps: Seems LA area 2007-2008's with under 75k miles, $23k - $24k isn't uncommon - so that's where I'll be advertising my FJ ... lol.

Last edited:
Where do you guys live that a 2008 FJ is selling for $27,000? I'll take my truck there when I go to sell it.

Play with the filters, and 2007 to 2009 4x4 FJ's are $18,500 or less. A bit higher mileage, but not $10,000 more.

ps: Seems LA area 2007-2008's with under 75k miles, $23k - $24k isn't uncommon - so that's where I'll be advertising my FJ ... lol.
Oregon. I'm guessing the "hipster/glamper tax"?

So a black one with off-road package, 3" lift (OME?), shocks, struts, TRD airbox, TRD Supercharger, 60,000 miles, original owner, every record, for $27K sounds like a winner and maybe a long-term keeper...

If mechanics have routinely handled a vehicle, I become quite suspicious of unseen damage. I've had more than one new car of mine ruined by factory trained mechanics doing stupid things - hoses reattached in in the wrong spots, improper torque of head bolts during a recall for warped heads, etc. I still have issues with my FJ after a recall service was performed without my permission.

If mechanics have routinely handled a vehicle, I become quite suspicious of unseen damage. I've had more than one new car of mine ruined by factory trained mechanics doing stupid things - hoses reattached in in the wrong spots, improper torque of head bolts during a recall for warped heads, etc. I still have issues with my FJ after a recall service was performed without my permission.
I could see that. He has had one shop (a specialty off-road shop specializing in Toyota with an impeccable reputation) do any/all work on this one. If you're suggesting this could be a Frankenstein situation. ;^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom