Fridge tilt and slide leading edge protector? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I just moved my fridge tilt and slide to a different drawer system and am wondering if I should do something to protect the top edge from damage where they make contact.

It is linex like used in truck beds, so it can probably take it, but it is also on a hard edge.

08F9EC28-9B5E-46DE-819F-16FC66E3BCF0.jpeg

I can't move the slide any further back without risking window damage from the fridge.

I was thinking about adding some thin 90 degree aluminum at the contact area held on with 3m double sided tape.

What does the collective think?

My prior drawer systems had a metal edge protector, so this never came up.

Some days I think I'm just talking to myself. :) Would be a fun plot for a book - man thinks he's on the internet chatting with a bunch of like minded people, but we pan out and see that he's gone bonkers in a remote cabin in the woods, hallucinating, responding to and debating with himself and his alter egos but only in his head. The movie rights are for sale for the right price...

I think your solution is the easiest.

Thanks. If I were more skilled, I'd route and chisel a relief into the box and set the aluminum flush. But, alas, I am not. :)

That wire track looks pretty nice. Care to comment on the source @CharlieS ?
Thanks!

Without some cable management, the wire ended up in pinch points and I didn't like that much.

The main part is a cable management drag chain from Amazon. https://a.co/d/ekPK5lp

I added a rare earth magnet to help keep the slack out of the way. I bought a bunch at one point to make a magnetic mic holder (Tim from Gamiviti's idea). https://a.co/d/8fpIFRM

The rest is just wire loom and cloth tape to protect the wire in case it does get pinched. Standard stuff from around the garage.

3738D7BF-BC77-482B-A725-6983B50608AF.jpeg

Last edited:
If the Line-X is the same as on truck beds (and is applied to a good thickness), the finish shouldn't mar much (or at all). I had a bed line-x'd with the UV stable stuff and it was tough as nails. Take a hose to it, use a push broom for the dirt stuck in the texture and the stuff would shine like new. Granted n=1.

Your solution doesn't hurt anything and I'd venture to guess the 3M stuff would be a headache to remove when you're done. But that's me splitting hairs and telling you something I am sure you've already considered.

EDIT: I am also liking that cable management. It looks legit!

Yea his cable management is what I liked most haha.

Being a bit OCD-ish has it's plusses sometimes. Seeing these pictures it actually bothers me a bit that the tracer in the wire loom is twisted, so that may have to go back for rework. :)

You're not talking to yourself, i was slow to see this post and before getting past your OP would have recommended an aluminum trim strip as you did. Love the use of a cable drag chain; however, am i missing something in the few photos? it looks like the "chain" is always stationary as its fixed to the moving tray, while the free cable in plastic loom is what must give and take as tray moves in and out. Maybe i'm not seeing something, but would have expected the drag chain to be mounted to the fixed portion of the tray or drawer top.

Being a bit OCD-ish has it's plusses sometimes. Seeing these pictures it actually bothers me a bit that the tracer in the wire loom is twisted, so that may have to go back for rework. :)
You are as bad as me, yesterday I pulled my grill and DC-DC charger so I could redo loom covers as it just didn't look right. What the **** its hidden behind the grill 99.99% of the time and is so black you can't even see it through the grill.

You're not talking to yourself, i was slow to see this post and before getting past your OP would have recommended an aluminum trim strip as you did. Love the use of a cable drag chain; however, am i missing something in the few photos? it looks like the "chain" is always stationary as its fixed to the moving tray, while the free cable in plastic loom is what must give and take as tray moves in and out. Maybe i'm not seeing something, but would have expected the drag chain to be mounted to the fixed portion of the tray or drawer top.
I may have mounted it wrong. I just made it up as I went. There isn't a great surface to mount the drag chain to on the fixed portion of the slide.

The drag chan is currently attached to the sliding portion of the fridge slide. As the slide comes out, the drag chain uncoils.

I could have done it completely incorrect for all I know. I've never seen a drag chain before.

I may have mounted it wrong. I just made it up as I went. There isn't a great surface to mount the drag chain to on the fixed portion of the slide.

The drag chan is currently attached to the sliding portion of the fridge slide. As the slide comes out, the drag chain uncoils.

I could have done it completely incorrect for all I know. I've never seen a drag chain before.
OK if the chain uncoils its doing right. Ive never seen a drag chain so small, but i guess they are common of small CNC cutters and 3D printers. Im used to designing with this size:

C3AC0341-D3CC-4AC8-9132-58948ED0679A.jpeg

You were absolutely right.

I just removed the magnet and it is back to the way it should be.

Turns out Bourbon aided engineering isn't always the best idea. The magnet was intended to help with floppy wires, but defeated the purpose of the drag chain.

04F10B11-7D49-4701-A2C7-97AA7D05B3BD.jpeg
E979FC88-B507-43B8-82D5-44FE27976D84.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom