Fridge Power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is everyone doing for fridge power in the rear of their GX? In my 4runner it had a cigarette lighter plug in the rear which I always had running so fridge would not turn off when car is off. I see that our GX has the wall outlet plug in the rear so I was wondering if anyone has turned that plug to always have power when the car is off or on?

928D4763-81C8-468F-B75E-B6D85619EE72.jpeg

I used the ARB kit to run power directly from the battery and mounted the socket in the back so it is always on. I like the socket since the ARB/Dometic fridge screws in...no slipping out on bumpy roads.

MVIMG_20190527_075521.jpg

What is everyone doing for fridge power in the rear of their GX? In my 4runner it had a cigarette lighter plug in the rear which I always had running so fridge would not turn off when car is off. I see that our GX has the wall outlet plug in the rear so I was wondering if anyone has turned that plug to always have power when the car is off or on?

View attachment 2005388
That's a sick 4Runner! Love it!!

Now, regarding your power issue, first I suggest you don't use the 110 inverter for several reasons:
  1. I doubt there's enough wattage in the factory inverter in the right rear to power your fridge.
  2. With vehicle accessories that either a 12 VDC or 110 VAC, it is always better to avoid the inverter if one is able to use the 12 VDC cigarette lighter socket. I puts less strain on the electrical system, especially if one want's to keep it accessory running with with engine off.
If you go to my build: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
It will show how I added a 3,000 watt inverter and a panel that has one 12 VDC cigarette lighter socket, two high speed USB ports and a voltage meter.
Note: First off, I have dual batteries. I used 1 AWG gauge wire that ran along, tucked up behind my rock sliders and connected to my second (house) battery. I added the panel with the 12 VDC accessory ports to the pop out access panel for the bottle jack and tapped into the 1 AWG wires that went into my inverter.
Now if you don't want to do the dual battery thing nor add a big 'ol womp'n inverter, then you can still use a much lighter gauge wire and run it straight to your battery.
This is what I purchased from Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B078K9NW7XIt nice because this panel also has a power switch so I can turn it off when not needing to use the power when I'm away from the vehicle or over night. I'm also absolutely sure I'm not getting any battery drain of any kind. Using the access panel makes installation super simple since you don't have to pull and pry any interior panel to install!

Thank you. It was my baby for 7 years. Camburg long travel, 4.56 gears, Arb rear locker, full skids and sliders. I miss it every day.
Trust me on this, once you build your GX up to that level (that's where mine is at), you will love your GX more and be saying 4Runner??? What 4Runner??
My wife and I LOVE our GX for our adventures!!!

Last edited:
Now, regarding your power issue, first I suggest you don't use the 110 inverter for several reasons:
  1. I doubt there's enough wattage in the factory inverter in the right rear to power your fridge.
  2. With vehicle accessories that either a 12 VDC or 110 VAC, it is always better to avoid the inverter if one is able to use the 12 VDC cigarette lighter socket. I puts less strain on the electrical system, especially if one want's to keep it accessory running with with engine off.
If you go to my build: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
It will show how I added a 3,000 watt inverter and a panel that has one 12 VDC cigarette lighter socket, two high speed USB ports and a voltage meter.
Note: First off, I have dual batteries. I used 1 AWG gauge wire that ran along, tucked up behind my rock sliders and connected to my second (house) battery. I added the panel with the 12 VDC accessory ports to the pop out access panel for the bottle jack and tapped into the 1 AWG wires that went into my inverter.
Now if you don't want to do the dual battery thing nor add a big 'ol womp'n inverter, then you can still use a much lighter gauge wire and run it straight to your battery.
This is what I purchased from Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B078K9NW7XIt nice because this panel also has a power switch so I can turn it off when not needing to use the power when I'm away from the vehicle or over night. I'm also absolutely sure I'm not getting any battery drain of any kind. Using the access panel makes installation super simple since you don't have to pull and pry any interior panel to install!
I really like the panel idea. No dual battery's for this truck. It’s my wife’s car, for now. 😂

R2M, Can I ask if you have had any issues with your panel? I don't recognize the manufacturer, but the price seems right.

Thanks,

Brian

R2M, Can I ask if you have had any issues with your panel? I don't recognize the manufacturer, but the price seems right.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks,

Brian
No issues at all. I just came back from 4 days in the field doing Army training (I'm a reservist) out in central California with temperatures from mid 50°'s to high 90°'s and had my Alpicool C20 (21 quart) fridge plugged into my power panel (the one I installed in the rear) the entire time. Never had an issues. Icy cold drinks and snacks! :cool:
Love it! And it's functionality!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom