frame mounted tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my idea is this, weld two pieces of pipe (vertically) one at each end of the rear frame crossmember install poly spring bushings in pipe. build rectangular steel piece with hinge on each end to fit over pipe with bushings.bolt one end and the other with a removable pin. then build frame on rectangular piece to mount spare tire just above hitch. are the bushings a good idea? will this be strong enough?

Your idea should work fine if the wt. bearing end (hinge) is welded on good enough, and you use a large diameter bolt. The fancy manufactured carriers use 1 inch, and they only support the bolt on one end. Hammerhead could tell you more about it. He is a terrific fabricator!

Bushings will eliminate noise but will allow flex as they do in your suspension. Your assembly will have too much leverage against the bushings and will alow the spare to wiggle. Perhaps an additional upper mounting point like the others could be mounted above the hinge side on the body similar to the stock tire rack pivot.
Most of the "swing away" type racks Ive seen or made had two pivot points far enough apart to give the strength or were built on a spindle type hard pivot with timken bearings like used in small trailers. This would give the required stability and your bushing idea could still be used at the latch side to eliminate noise.

any pictures of some you've built hammerhead?

Most of the custom fabs I have seen use some form of trailer spindle in order to provide the structural integrity needed to securely hold up a spare tire. Just dig around the 'net a little, and you'll find that most of the 4x4 shops & major hardware/tool shops carry them for just this reason.

Here's an example to get you started:

http://www.4x4iron.aacart.com/.sc/ms/cat/1032987946/9/nc/Bumper%20parts%20&%20kits

I didn't find pics. Sorry. That link posted by halo3 is exactly what I was talking about. Looks like a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom