Found a new project truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heard from the doc yesterday. It looks like #6 wasn't firing and had cylinder wash down. Bummer!
Also, it's already 1 over so I'll have to bore/sleeve #6. The good news is that all of the other cylinders look good and are at "like new" compression leak down.

Our buddy is home. Drove him to work this morning. Glad the heater works! (40 degrees feels cold to a Phoenician!)

Costco threw on the new wheels for me and I banged on the hubcaps. Even with the taps prebent it was a bitch to get on. Hopefully that means they are nice and secure.

Looks great!

Our buddy is home. Drove him to work this morning. Glad the heater works! (40 degrees feels cold to a Phoenician!)

Costco threw on the new wheels for me and I banged on the hubcaps. Even with the taps prebent it was a bitch to get on. Hopefully that means they are nice and secure.

Looking good. If you have stock wheels with hub cap tabs they will be hard to install the caps. Some bend the tabs but I never have. You see movies with chase scene where a hub cap going flying on a corner. Something you never have to worry about with these.

Looking good. If you have stock wheels with hub cap tabs they will be hard to install the caps. Some bend the tabs but I never have. You see movies with chase scene where a hub cap going flying on a corner. Something you never have to worry about with these.
Indeed! I felt like I was going to break a finger as I was trying to get them on. I did a bit of pre-bending to make it possible, but they are sure on there good now!

Update! We installed some H4 headlights and a nice little relay from user "Coolerman" to make the LED blinkers work. On Saturday we pulled the Aux tank and threw some pebbles and nuts into it and the wife and I shook it like crazy. I think the neighbors thought we were starting a horrible band of some sort. The pile of dried rust that came out was startling to say the least.
Cinnamon anyone?

Next up we did the Muratic acid treatment rolling it onto a new side every few hours. We then neutralized it with lots of baking soda and took a look. It was nice and clean with just a little surface rust so we reinstalled it and put in an inline filter right at the tank to catch any leftovers. Besides a little leak from a quickly tightened hose clamp it's working great! We can carry about 30 gallons now and the thirsty little truck needs it!
Last up was to install some new wire winch line. (It's so easy to find brand new takeoff wire)
Then we went driving to do some shooting, of course.

Coming together nicely Tim! Seeing those pictures makes me realize I really need to get out

So, I replaced all 5 ball joints with JJJ's from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Thanks for the help Tom! ( @tls3601 )
Also, adjusted the steering box set screw to eliminate the slop. It's amazing now. It's like the steering wheel actually connects to the tires!

Then, yesterday on the way to work the engine cut out. It would run for a sec and die. Definitely a fuel issue. I got a tow home from the wife in the 80 and started searching here on Mud for an answer. At lunch time I went home and did the OEM fuel filter. It ran at idle now, but still not when driven. So, I did the "Oklahoma Rebuild" as mentioned here. I also found that the fuel return line banjo bolt seemed like it was plugged. After all of that it's running perfectly. As always, thanks to Ih8mud. Phew! Drove it to work today of course!

Pictures, because you gotta have pics!!
(Last Sunday about a mile from my office)

My kind of office.:cool: Hope your commute is just as short.;)

My kind of office.:cool: Hope your commute is just as short.;)
I'm sure it will all be houses in another few years, but I sure hope it's not. Great for feeling away from town right near it! Thankfully the whole commute for me is about 9 miles. :) Learned that lesson the hard way after having a sometimes 2 hour commute from Huntington Beach out to Icon Vehicle Dynamics in Corona. Ugh, I have nightmares about that one!!

Here, 58 miles to work everyday, one of those things involved with choosing where one lives I guess. Gawd, it would be nice to cut that in half.:steer:

Proud of the wife! Her article on the truck was posted by Petrolicious.
This Reader Took A Chance On An Old FJ40
avatar440_20c5e610d8c9d917fffb3a99d8f91355.jpg-1476937371426.jpg

Great story Tim. I think you summed up alot of our dreams, finding a vintage cruiser out in no man's land and bringing it home. I read the story twice1

Last edited:
That's great news, but not surprising. It's a great story and well told.:cheers:

Great story Tim. I think you summed up alot our dreams, finding a vintage cruiser out in no man's land and bringing it home. I read the story twice

Thanks guys! We're humbled by the response. I'm lucky to have found the truck and more so that the wife loves these adventures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom