Found a good use for the ashtray (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didn't want to make a new gauge cluster, but wanted newer water temp/oil press gauges. They are angles over and up for ease of visibility.
P1050359.JPG

but where do you put your spare bolts now? :confused: :D

nuclearlemon said:
but where do you put your spare bolts now? :confused: :D

Ha ha ha, that's exactly where I suff my spare bolts! Always know where they are.

What's the welding for? I think it looks weird.

honk said:
What's the welding for? I think it looks weird.
The gauges are mounted in short sections of tubing, angled through 3/16 steel plate. Seemed like the best way to attach it, didn't figure wedging 'em in on an hope and a prayer would hold well enough.

Aalien said:
The gauges are mounted in short sections of tubing, angled through 3/16 steel plate. Seemed like the best way to attach it, didn't figure wedging 'em in on an hope and a prayer would hold well enough.

Ah. The angle didn't show for me - like guages in an Alfa-Romeo dash, eh? Good idea but now start dremelling the weld down smooth so I'll approve.

You ARE seeking my aproval, AREN'T you?? ;)

In 20 years when your truck has fallen apart, at least you know those monster welded gauges will still be there.

Give us a pic of them mounted in the dash, that is a cool idea. I have played with the idea of installing my mini cb in the dash at that spot too.

Rezarf <><

sick, my ashtray holds nuts and bolts with a magnet to make sure i dont lose any of them but great job are you try to keep it oem? besides the tray of course. nice welds

What's the plate made out of? Thickness? How'd you fab it and round the edges? I had a similar idea but was going to use the radio hole on my '78, but haven't figured out how to fab the plate yet. All I have is the normal garage mechanic's tools.

I mounted my Hella light switches on the inside rear panel of my ash tray. At night, I got tired of seing that annoying bright green glow from the switches that come with their kits. It also helped clean up the dash. That is a tough looking angled gauge mount through. Good idea!

RedGreen said:
What's the plate made out of? Thickness? How'd you fab it and round the edges? I had a similar idea but was going to use the radio hole on my '78, but haven't figured out how to fab the plate yet. All I have is the normal garage mechanic's tools.
RedGreen,

All you need is a grinder and a couple different wheels. Cutoff wheel to get the rough shape and sanding/flap wheels to shape the edges. Hole saw makes the gage holes and you can figure out the rest!

HTH,
Nick Jennings

Hacksaw and grinder, then clean the edges with file. I used 3/16 plate so I had room to get a rounded edge, and used the ashtray door for my template. FYI, I cheated and used my plasma cutter.

That is a really unmolested dash, how is the rest of your cruiser? It doesnt even have a radio cut out... that is cool.

Rezarf <><

looks sweet Aalien

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom