Forced to buy tires before I wanted to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This just sucks. First off, my car came to me with Nanking MudStars on it and I haven't been impressed. They howl horribly at speed and rumble when slow. Their wear is uneven and the spare didn't match either. So I've been shopping for tires, reading reviews here and elsewhere and prepping myself for an informed decision. Then this happened today on my way to work:

lyxjslr3cFurcaRV6NZRvwrsLJIUkUq3Cyhzm8gPFHoupZv1aORMrfQ-ShGwiueN5YURRqqs3g75IjezN96n6nfrFeg94u_9y_Nn59H8Uch_IbCGNhPJZU99rTZOeWaSkyT-coEoH7Mha_uZpqo3ODVZifqywt6_5RvMQmrptqRbhWGxDHRl15-zyJC7ZVyNwDO4ViECDUSBoIT7-3ICdZhj8WHFEiht5LFoK_oK024XyGVBRitF2MwHyEDu5L2OtllO3L9XqIoRUW0qAfdDdTM33urt-5h-6kx5_qvtikHST5PigdttNMkGm-WwH0JV5QTCrucPZNvnxMuKQnqrJ5GWxaAOFTRBKYCQAgbC3f-aXCxM9LJHH3Ednmq0BmEK2DiVyG3mewX7Vd8GUXElK5NUCd65cy5aUfMeweljPQ2VA_PLIIRwDMqZkhiao4w4jIUfVPmemAIZgot9Mfr9yCbSLPI6xYIx3tt-YNYK0kyX1-tU_QQTsFdL5ft3cfuX5NDuFgZYbucfW1I8WC07Nz2gZV4FQjc_0LNT2JaDrugojL7Q7aaesyyum5cn85Ekt_EPTbpw8pUDXwVCPnYWThKO9sgC7z_rk1OEV3VZdKLPxfPjDs7-TzVx5zzOLSTIC7l24NYYRpvXt_M4ioGiPF9o=w482-h856-no

QB83z7fdDTKFHPf5aqTtfkGMqcKiTSUkvwV9dD9txRUEkkz0p1CtWWbzuDEIjjK0PgGrHZjcXjP3VBHkG-PJ4-aRIt-1wA3c6zhRO0-PPCCigTgLlah1W9se7Zj3ENiB1qSfbfi0XBgtdewpQT8BUeP4uGBovW0BiZGAadvAEDReWaRediSrsdCzgTXMSHTTfd_e5q0KXeURkbNjePpnd_GXf-5JJrPN-JdIpUjI70gtm4_FS1Xg95Jh8eUa6uSkXeaNVmnhMsbcmQrv8juo5lzzKpgrAMGn3vXedJ7FFYGomltuBMwakliGWbba9hbc3Ed66FYGmOEcHPsnibr4IjPkJaKFm_0xixbP9HHA7RNxwfN7jHXWvKIRcZrlN6g4qaZJWsj2TjXFm-YZNswptp9oZBeIp9qbbjjXOyUAuqvHCKuUnEpv36SnjJcSlDOs7NGBya9mEKA5TVHi-1JK5UavSCV1V3EIPvlLIy2hf-SswFJgox4M7LdJxaJHUEPm9UD4pLi5pVZDePyPd2KX1nqedH4ljGulTdaVkXBwkAjKyn76kHao0zP-Ajjz1-x-YWevnxMA87UDal96HOdmQxoe0QK3r1UWIPJheeP-DL6Oss5I4ljBDCrRWG8knuF6AS3fR_Xd8GIMUrgU-49IJyYj=w482-h856-no

So I took these pictures to my local guy near work and he said he couldn't patch it (I don't blame him). So I called up America's Tire (Discount Tire Co in some areas) where I've been buying tires for the past 20 years. The only 33"s that they could get in stock by tomorrow are BFG KO2 DT. I had the older KO2s (non-DT) on my previous car, and other than having one perpetually out of balance they were pretty good. Much better than those cheepo MTs that I've been on at least. I had been thinking about Geolandar G015, as I had a set of Geolandar AT-S on my Juke that I simply loved, but those would take a week to stock. So my hand was forced and I'm getting the KO2s. I hope I have better luck than some on this forum have had lately.

Now, I just have to get home. I'm going to check the pressure at lunch, as it still held air when I got to work. Hopefully I can limp home on this without having a catastrophic failure because, again, I don't have a proper spare. I think I'll pick up a can of fix-a-flat to keep with me, but I really don't want to use that garbage if I can help it.

Just ranting, no real questions here. If anyone has any advice for driving home 22 miles on a clearly punctured tire, I'm open to suggestions, but I suspect it is what it is. I'm about ready for a do-over on 2018 though, buying my 'Cruiser is the best thing to happen to me all year. FML

You got this bro...I just got back from a motorcycle trip where I corded a rear tire 50 miles south of Farmington NM. I had to stuff two ribbon plugs in at once and limp back to Farmington...

....it was a Sunday.

FWIW fix a flat was worthless.

Lunch Update:

It's still round! Holding pressure steady, so no leaks yet. It'll get me home, I'm feeling more confident now. I knew this was coming, I just hoped I could put it off until December, and order up tires of my choosing. BFGs were on the short list though, so really I've just lost my ability to procrastinate and agonize over choices. All's well that ends well, hopefully tomorrow I'll have some fresh new shoes on and I can agonize over other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom