Fogs for a price ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
60_065_a.jpg

Any chance we could say screw the centre lights , I'd rather have fogs ? I know this is a Japanese setup , but could someone swap in fog bulbs ? Is there even such a thing ? Or do we need a foggy :p lense as well ?

Tyler - too fawkin tired to think ; Zzzzzzz

Dont know.. :p

But, that PIC you posted is GREAT~!! :D :cheers:
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be doing that right now... :D

[glow=red,2,300]I[/glow][glow=red,2,300]LOVE[/glow][glow=red,2,300]MUD![/glow]

later
-joe-

I have that light setup on my rig. But in the moment I can't tell you much about it. I have separate Fog lights too. Let me find out and come back to you about the results.

Mike

Yellow bulbs? Piaa used to make Ion Crystal bulbs that put out amber, don't know if they still do. They even had half-coated high/low bulbs.

Here a photo. Yellow bulbs !!! :D

Mike

Tyler,

I think they are cool, too :)

And I have been contemplating/planning on installing an aftermarket fog lights as well when I get a Cruiser.

What I've learned from Japanese 80 owners is that the yellow fogs are fairly dark in illuminating(or not illuminating) the road. They look really cool when you see it coming down the road. The fogs actually have yellow covers(?) on them which some owners crack to make them clear for better illumination. As for the lens pattern, I don't know how good they are.

But I know that fogs are supposed to be installed(aimed) low for their visibility, maybe in/below front bumper. Of course, you can purchase the Japanese/OZ spec lenses, but the lens cut will be for RHD vehicles only. I'm not sure if the Europeans had similar set-up or not.

My plan is to purchase something like this CIBIE HID projector fog(I know that fogs are not supposed to be super-bright, but... :D I think with the superior horizontal cut of projector would be awesome ::)

If I went that route I would also install yellow covers that I can put on them to make them a little darker and more visible in foul weather(available from ECB Japan).

I'll try attaching all the pics at once, but if that doesn't work, be patient with me ;)
OK, I don't know how to attach more than one pic at a time, so bare with me.

Sorry, it's probably another useless information you were (not) looking for :p

mot

And the covers:

May be these will sufficiently dim the HID where you want the fogs to be as far as their level of illumination is ::)

:cheers:

mot

Hey Mot,

what you see in the photo above are not yellow covers for the lights. There are only yellow bulbs inside and you will have such a setup. My rig has the same setup as the photo above when I put on my lights but use only yellow bulbs. I haven't seen any yellow light covers here in Thailand, only yellow bulbs.

Mike

Asiarider:

Nice to have you on this board :cheers: It's great to have some other locations covered. I noticed in your sig the ultra cool altimeter, etc. COuld you post a pic of the console?

Cheers, Hugh

I noticed in your sig the ultra cool altimeter, etc. COuld you post a pic of the console?

Yes, that is one of the nice features I have. I am just lucky that my rig here had everything inside. I will post some pics soon of Cool box, rear AC, Altimeter/Compass, Console with buttons for Shock adjustment, rear AC, etc.

The yellow lights are really nice too. You can see a car much better and so it is a safety feature too.

Mike

Mike,

"what you see in the photo above are not yellow covers for the lights. There are only yellow bulbs inside and you will have such a setup. My rig has the same setup as the photo above when I put on my lights but use only yellow bulbs. "

Well, the Thai 80's must have been manufactured differently than the Japanese spec 80's then. Unless someone went through the trouble of cracking and taking out the yellow covers\shield that go around(cover) the regular bulbs in your fog light units. If that's the case, I apologize.

Or maybe I did not make myself very clear, which is more likely. ;)

I meant to say that the yellow covers are for the HID fogs(or regular, ture HID's. Not HID colored(blue-tinted) halogens).

I can't remember the term they use for the them, instead of bulbs for halogen(not ignitor, not ballast, what was the term for HID unit's???). Hope this is clear enough.

You just slip them on like... (cough) condoms and put the clips on. I said that I would just put them on the CIBIE HID fogs(or other HID's) to make them more foul- weather worthy :)

Also, if you thought that I meant a cover that you can put on top of the headlight(fog light) cover unit, there IS one available in ion-crystal color(similar to yellow). I can't find a pic/link with it, but I have found one similar to it in clear like it:

http://www.88house.com/ca9.htm

If you scroll down there's a picture right above the snorkely on the left(put on a four square headlight conversion model). I have seen them in yellow/ion-crystal on the regular headlight model before. I have it in my catalogue, but don't have a scanner. ;)

Or if you are bored like me :D try 88 House's web catalogue(scanned; not by me though), some neato items ;):

http://www.88house.com/catalog.htm

I also have seen a film that you can put on head/fog lights that is yellow at a local automobile accessories shop.

I think that the stock yellow fogs look cool, but I'm not sure if they work all that well, considering how high they are and also from what I've heard from some Japanese 80 owners.

OK, I'm tired now. I'm done rumbling. ;)

My 2 yen's worth. :D

mot

Couple thoughts:

No, you cannot put yellow bulbs in the high beams and have "fog" lights. Fog lights have a specific pattern, and all you'd end up with would be yellow high beams (no good in fog).

Projector lights do not have "superior horizontal cut" beams. They merely use a different technology in order to have a very compact light, and trade off output power in order to achieve this. You can also get full size projector lights (such as BMW low beams) that do not have the trade off of the mini light sized projectors shown.

You don't have to "crack" lights in order to change a bulb or put a condom on them. They come out the back for replacement - a piece of cake.

And finally, yellow fogs indeed have diminished output as MOT points out. Anytime you place a filter in front of a white light, you diminish usable light. Yellow light bounces back less in fog (shorter lightwaves are more apt to bounce on water particles, yellow is longer), but when there is no fog present you'll have less output.

Off the box..

Doug

Doug,

I guess my explanation was not sufficient, yet again ;)

"You don't have to "crack" lights in order to change a bulb or put a condom on them. They come out the back for replacement - a piece of cake."

The fog on the Japanese spec, I believe, have yellow shade/cover inside the fog light unit that is a part of the unit, positioned between the bulb and the lens. That is why the white (clear) bulbs end up emmitting yellow color. And no, you don't need to crack anything if you are happy with the yellow light that your fogs put out.

But in order for one to be able to get while light out of his/her fog, he/she needs to break the shade inside the unit. I hope this clarifies it a little better.

Anyway,

mot

Gotcha..

MOT:

Keep posting the Japanese links - I love them! I think I need the rear retracting tarp C$740/Y80,000 and I wouldn't mind the 70 they show (very different from the 70's they sold in Canada - looks more like a 55) and, if they sold the hopped up minivan I might actually let the wife drive one!

Always cool to see the clear lenses as well

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,

I'm glad that someone likes the links I post. I'll try to keep up the good work ;)

Let me know if I can help you with anything over here.

mot

Translate all those links so I know what the heck I am lookin at! :D

Dan,

I'm all over it :flipoff2: :D ;)

Seriously, if there's anything specific(other than everything) you want to know, I would be able to help out, unless it's too technical, then it would be over my head.

Here's a link with some 80s' pics:

http://www.88house.com/photo80.htm

I like this one in particular:

:cheers:

mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom