Foglights mounted on a stock bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried this on a 100? I was told that they would vibrate in the wind if just mounted to the top of the bumper, which makes sense. I know it's an option on the FJ but I'm assuming there are brackets.

PIA05798.jpg

I put KCs on he factory bumper, use some washers underneath - holds just fine

On my old 4Runner I initially did this on my factory bumper, used washers as stated above after half a year I noticed stress cracks on the bumper around the light holes. I went back in and made a bracket that fit under the factory bumper and aligned with my mounting holes giving it extra support. The brackets were made out of 1” aluminum angle found commonly at hardware stores, simply cut and bolted together. Just make sure you distribute the load enough and you should be fine.

I did. Worked great. See below for more details from a previous post. Switch came from www.ch4x4.com.

The switch is LED, which is brighter than the other lights, but I don't mind it. Plus it's wired to only light up when turned on. I particularly like how it replaces the blank. I screwed up and ordered it with a white light but you can also get the florescent green. I imagine it would be brighter as well.

With the bracket image, I wasn't able to shoot far enough away to show both ends, but imagine another bolt coming through on the left. The nice thing about the bracket was that it made a great template for drilling the holes. Just position it on the top of the bumper and trace the two holes at whatever span you want to put the lights. The sharpie mark in the middle of the bracket helped me get it centered. And to keep the drill from slipping, I started with a small bit and worked my way up. You're just drilling through heavy plastic so it's not bad. I just didn't want it to slip any so it would line up perfectly when I moved the bracket underneath.

View attachment 1842609View attachment 1842610

IMG_1811.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom