Fog light install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aux light switch. On the back of switch, there are three prongs and I need to find out which is which. General schematic is I am trying to install aux light to be independently operated (not splicing to high/low beam).
How do I wire to the switch? Anybody done this using the OEM switch they sell at the cruiserparts.net?
Thanks.

Not having seen the switch, I'd guess you're probably using a SPST (on-off), in which case (IIRC), one lead will go to ground (usually black/white striped wire for Toyota), one to power, one to the hella relay. I'd recommend splicing into the parking light power line so if you accidentally leave the fogs on, the parking lights will also be on and the idiot bell will chime, and splicing into a ground from something on that same circuit (see FSM).

To wire totally independent you can run a wire from the battery to a fuse and from the fuse to the switch, than a wire from the switch to a ground, than a wire from the switch to the lights. Thats what I did w/ Hella 500 on my bros 80 series, and they work fine. The lights should ground themselves if mounted on metal so you are basically just connecting a circuit w/ the switch. The switch ground is usually for when the switch lights up when it is on. I think I may have totally ingored some box ment to help wire into the head lights, but oh well, that was the point.

-Matt

run a wire from the battery to a fuse and from the fuse to the switch, than a wire from the switch to a ground, than a wire from the switch to the lights

while you can wire the lights independantly from headlight control,you should always use a relay to actually power the lights,the current they can draw could cause a fire or other damage by wiring directly from the battery to the dsh switch.

with a relay,only a control circuit is going to the switch,and the relay handles the higher amperage needed to power the lights,and its out under the hood.

doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom