Flywheel Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I recently acquired most of a 2F engine from my boss who is doing an LS swap on his 60. My original 2F siezed about a year ago so I am taking all the functional parts off of my original and transferring them to the 2F that he just gave me, including the flywheel. Can anybody give me some pointers on how I should position my flywheel onto the new engine when fitting it? Thanks in advance.

Hi guys. I recently acquired most of a 2F engine from my boss who is doing an LS swap on his 60. My original 2F siezed about a year ago so I am taking all the functional parts off of my original and transferring them to the 2F that he just gave me, including the flywheel. Can anybody give me some pointers on how I should position my flywheel onto the new engine when fitting it? Thanks in advance.

The flywheel will only mount one way because of the locating dowel on the crankshaft. This will be obvious once you pull off the old. The flywheel is heavy so be careful lifting it for installation. Properly torque the flywheel bolts and use loctite. The flywheel will want to turn as you torque down the bolts but you can jam a piece of wood between the out flywheel teeth and bellhousing to hold the flyswheel stationary as you torque it down. The softness of the the wood will prevent any damage to the teeth.

You should replace the pilot bearing since you'll be in that deep with a flywheel swap, maybe also the clutch depending on condition.

The flywheel will only mount one way because of the locating dowel on the crankshaft. This will be obvious once you pull off the old. The flywheel is heavy so be careful lifting it for installation. Properly torque the flywheel bolts and use loctite. The flywheel will want to turn as you torque down the bolts but you can jam a piece of wood between the out flywheel teeth and bellhousing to hold the flyswheel stationary as you torque it down. The softness of the the wood will prevent any damage to the teeth.

You should replace the pilot bearing since you'll be in that deep with a flywheel swap, maybe also the clutch depending on condition.
Thank you for the guidance. That makes a lot of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom