Flux core welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to welding and was about to buy a cheap $100 flux core welder on Amazon to weld areas on my fj40 that I cut out due to rust. After alittle research I found out that if painted over flux core the paint would bleed after a couple months. I told that to my friend that is going to teach me to weld and he said just grind the welds down put bondo over it, prime and paint. Is that the correct way of doing it, If not what is?
Spots to be welded would be rear sill, driver passenger floor boards and areas where the roll bar bolts to.
Just want to make sure because I don't want to redo a mess up months down the road.

As long as you get the flux off of there and use a good etching primer I would think its fine. I weld almost everything flux because I have to weld outdoors. If you could swing it a trip to tractor supply can get you a nice 110v Hobart that will do flux or gas ( you have to buy bottle ). You will be so much happier with it then the cheap ones from HF or ebay.

As long as you get the flux off of there and use a good etching primer I would think its fine. I weld almost everything flux because I have to weld outdoors. If you could swing it a trip to tractor supply can get you a nice 110v Hobart that will do flux or gas ( you have to buy bottle ). You will be so much happier with it then the cheap ones from HF or ebay.

How do you take the flux off? Sorry if that's a basic knowledge question but this will be my first time working in this field.
I live in the big city I think the nearest tractor shop is over 100 miles

How do you take the flux off? Sorry if that's a basic knowledge question but this will be my first time working in this field.
I live in the big city I think the nearest tractor shop is over 100 miles

I use a chipping hammer or a steel brush

If you could swing it a trip to tractor supply can get you a nice 110v Hobart that will do flux or gas ( you have to buy bottle ). You will be so much happier with it then the cheap ones from HF or ebay.

The Hobart auto arc 130? I bought it a few years ago and it seems to work great. Havent set up the argon for it yet though.

You can paint over it as others have said here. One thing I'd suggest is getting one that offers a gas shield for your weld. You don't have to use it right away, but there are kit's you can add latter if you want. Your welds are MUCH cleaner in the shield of CO2. I often see people who start with a simple flux welder and then they use it more and more and wish they had gone gas or could upgrade. Just something to think about.

get the gas kit for sheet metal. use the flux on thicker material. use the metal in inert gas (MIG) for sheet...buy the biggest welder you can afford, or rent/borrow the biggest welder you can rent/borrow.

The Hobart auto arc 130? I bought it a few years ago and it seems to work great. Havent set up the argon for it yet though.

They have upgraded it a bit, but very similar. Here is the one I bought last year Hobart 500559 Handler Wire Welder - Mig Welding Equipment - Amazon.com I really waffled about on my decision. I wasn't sure it was worth spending $500, plus you need a helmet, gloves, and a few other accessories. Its rare that a week goes by without me welding something with it. One of the best purchases I've ever made for my garage and really opens up a lot of possibilities.

For flux I've tried a bunch of different wires. Since I never cut my stuff open for testing I pretty much have to base my wire decision on how it feels when i'm making the puddle and what it looks like after. So far this has been giving me the best results Blue Demon E71TGS .030 X 2# Spool Gasless Flux Core Welding Wire - Arc Welding Accessories - Amazon.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom