Flat towing laws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.realestatebook.com
I need to transport a 1,500lb rock buggy with 37" super swamper tires from FL to AL. I am familier with flat towing modified stock vehicles (mostly jeeps) and know about the driveshafts, steering and reverse issues. This one is a tube frame buggy with parts of a 1946 willies jeep body threaded inside and outside of the roll cage. My question is: Does a vehicle being flat towed need to be licensed or street legal? Anyone have an idea of how fast can I expect to go safely pulling this thing with a UZJ100. Should I stick to the secondary roads?

Thanks in advance,

You should check with the states you'll be travelling through to know for sure. Most all of the states I have lived in have laws to the effect of "if it's got wheels on our roads it better be registered and insured".

I can also say I've towed on a dolly many unregistered vehicles across most of the Northeast to both NJ and IN with no hassles. But then the vehicles where FJ40's that looked stock not a rock buggy. I'd recommend a rental trailer. PITA for sure but cheaper than a ticket or two or vehicle impound.

HTH,
Nick

I couldn't find the laws for FL and AL online. I will have to make a phone call in the morning to see what truely is required. Any idea who has the lightest rental trailer? The U-Haul ones weigh more than the truck I plan to put on it.

I was under the impression that if the wheels are on the road it has to be street legal and registered.

I know to rent a uhaul dolly both vehicles need to be registered, insured and street legal.

Penske has a trailer for lighter weight vehicles.

A u-haul trailer is a pain to rent. IF IF they actually have one for when you reserve it, it could be in a 60 mile radius that you have to pick up that is 120 miles round trip. Not worth it. Go with Ryder or Penske but you have to have at least a full size truck and trailer brakes for Penske (at elast where I am at)

I am just pulling it with a UZJ100. Rider only appears to rent very large trailers, eBay doesn't have anything used nearby so it looks like I am stuck with Uhaul or Flat towing. Florida Highway Patrol hasn't answered the phone all week (at least their customer service line.) I really don't want the extra 2000 lbs with the Uhaul trailer because the jeep only weighs about 1500 lbs so lets just stick with the original plan of flat towing this baby!

I bought a boat trailer last year and it had no title just as this buggy has no title. Perhaps if I had a current bill of sale, I would be spared if Johnny Law happened to pull me over flat towing an unlicensed vehicle? Is there such thing as a temporary transit tag? My insurance covers anything that I am pulling so I am covered on the $ end.

Thanks for all the input,

Travis

I have purchased temporary transit tags from several states. Each of them required a title and insurance for the vehicle I needed the plates for. All the vehicles I needed plates for were stock in running/driving condition. Don't think your buggy qualifies. BUT what's the worst case if you get pulled over? Impound and you still gotta get a trailer plus the fines. I'd be more worried about the worst case if it breaks free and crashes into someone. With no insurance YOU are now responsible for all the damages out of your pocket. Hope your pockets are deep and that your karma/luck is in good standing.

In short, yeah, the trailer sucks but the potential downside is infinitely worse IMHO. I'd suck it up and get the trailer.

Nick

Ready to Roll

Here is the setup. I went with the dolly. It handles pretty well and is much lighter than a flat bed. I hope it is a good compromise. Wish me luck!
Rig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom