Flashing Cruise Control Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud,
I ended up getting the old 1fzfe rebuilt, and she is purring like new! No more burning oil! literally nothing visible out of the tailpipe. I am very happy.

But OF COURSE... a couple other things were broken during the process.

One that I cannot figure out, is why my CC light is flashing when I try to set it. After reading up on it, I followed this procedure to see what the issue may be...

PROCEDURE:
A. Turn the ignition switch on.
B. Turn the control switch to SET/Coast position, and keep it there.
C.Push the main switch ON.
D.check that the indicator light "CRUISE" lights-up in the
combination meter.
E.Turn the SET/Coast switch off
F.Meet the conditions listed in the table below.
G. Read the diagnostic code on the cruise control indicator light.
#1 Turn the control switch to SET/Coast position
there should be two flashes and then a second break and then two
flashes, then break then two flashes etc. If you get the flashes your
SET/Coast circuit is normal.
#2 Turn the control switch to RES/ACC possition.
this time you get a pause and three flashes, repeated again and
again. if you get the three flashes RES/ACC circuit is ok.
#3 Each switch is turned on
a. Control switch to CANCEL.
b. Stop light switch, (step on brake)
c. parking brake switch. ( pull up parking brake)
d.Neutral start switch. ( put in neutral)
if when you test each of the 4 cancel switches you DO NOT get any
flashes then those switchs are normal.
THIS IS YOU, And now you have to leave the driveway.
#4 Two parts for speed sensor
A. Drive at 25mph or below. if there are NO flashes sensor is normal.
b. Drive at 25mph or over. you should get constant steady blinking.
if she blinks sensor is ok.

After competing this, I *think* I found that my cruiser fails #3. I believe if the CEL is on, all of the #3 steps(control switch to cancel, brake pedal down to cancel, move to N for cancel, and Parking break to cancel should turn off the CC light. None of these caused the light to change or blink, all modes just stayed solid green CRUISE. Per this procedure, "If when you test each of the 4 cancel switches you DO NOT get any flashes then those switches are normal". I did not get a flash or the light turning off, so I'm going to assume I pass #3(unless this really means that it should turn off the CRUISE light). After that, I tested putting the CC on at below and above 25.

Below 25: Works, light comes on, but nothing cancels or sets it other than pressing the button to start CC.

Above 25; Doesn't work, CRUISE blinks like 5 times and then I have to restart the car to get the CRUISE light back.

Any suggestions about what to look at(speed sensor(tcase) versus actuator(passenger fender) versus brake pedal lever thing(behind the break pedal, cant remember the name) would be helpful. I also cannot figure out how to get the CC light to flash to pull those CC specific codes.

Thanks all,
Chris Morrissey

1993 1FZFE FZJ80 260k

Also reading about adjusting the length of the CC cable... could anyone let me know how that could be done?

Took all the slack out of the CC cable I could, no change there. Hoping CC will be a bit nicer when I get it working though :)

Figured it out! There is a brake position switch up underneath the dash on the drivers sider behind the wheel. Needed to adjust the brake position switch a little bit closer to the pedal, so that when the brake is not being used, the switch is fully pushed in. Cruise control works better than ever now! Still confused why the top end engine rebuild is the same time it went out of tolerance, but it seems it did.

CHEERS

How are your vacuum lines to the brake booster? I think there's a check in valve there too.
Poor vacuum will let the pedal droop a little, at least it did in my 75 Cheyenne Pickup...

Good piece of troubleshooting, by the way. 2 hours, solved. Maybe. :banana:

How are your vacuum lines to the brake booster? I think there's a check in valve there too.
Poor vacuum will let the pedal droop a little, at least it did in my 75 Cheyenne Pickup...

Good piece of troubleshooting, by the way. 2 hours, solved. Maybe. :banana:
Thanks sir! And the big one with the curve and shield(there is a second piece of rubber around it) on it? It has never been replaced I don't think. And I have read about that valve(something about that break booster unit, cant remember exactly) being an issue. It is interesting, that the positioning of the brake pedal changed during the top end rebuild.... Perhaps your brake booster hypothesis explains why the pedal was seated differently than before the rebuild. I know they replaced some lines, though I haven't located a new brake one. But I could have missed it.

Don't say "maybe solved", you will jinx me sir :).

Chris

@blkprj80 you got me! My CC does work now, but only under 60 MPH! Anything freeway speed will throw the same behavior, setting CRUISE gives 5 blinks and kills the circuit.

If anybody has any idea about this new condition -- CC doesnt work above around 60 mph, lets hear it! Glad to have it half working ahaha

Chris

Funny that is happening. I also have a CC issue, but haven't looked into it much.

It speeds 45-55 or so it just blinks. Recently I drove across state and forgot about this and set it successfully a few times at around 70 mph.

Strange; can't imagine that it is speed dependent though.

Just took a look at the speed sensor..... SO gunked up I had to remove a couple millimeters of caked dry oil/dirt in order to even find the part to spin. Currently draining and soaking in electric cleaner :). I think someone mentioned if I see oil within the sensor(it was full) that I need a new part, a seal. Is the seal part of the sensor itself, so that if I buy a new sensor, I'm good to go?

Thanks!
Chris

@blkprj80 you got me! My CC does work now, but only under 60 MPH! Anything freeway speed will throw the same behavior, setting CRUISE gives 5 blinks and kills the circuit.

If anybody has any idea about this new condition -- CC doesnt work above around 60 mph, lets hear it! Glad to have it half working ahaha

Chris

Those five blinks are a code, aren't they? Check the repair manual closely for any info.

Just wanted too wrap this up. Cleaning the sensor worked splendidly! CC works now! I will report back when the sensor fails due to the inner seal being smoked. Curious how long cleaning will keep it working, considering I have the leak.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom