Flaming 40 NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pura Vida

What an absolute noob
Threads
Hello y’all. I’m in Raleigh near north hills and I need some help working on my cruiser. I have almost no wrenching experience, and I am ordering tools online, but I managed to diagnose some issues thanks to the tech section.

I have a 40 series BJ40 that I imported myself from Costa Rica, and got the engine rebuilt, but the car has been sitting for quite a bit and the front disc brakes are kaput and locked up. The knuckles are also shot, and it also probably needs tie-rod work. I also need to assemble some parts in my engine. I think I have all the parts to put into the engine bay, I just need some help figuring out where it all goes. I’m ordering knuckle rebuild kits with bearings, and some tools, but if you can help, it would be helpful to bring a few of your own tools because I may not be fully equipped. As any questions necessary. The link to my tech thread concerning the brakes, tie rod and knuckles is here:

And the link to my diesel thread is here concerning my engine:

We have a thing called HAMOM. Help a member out meeting. If you're willing to host, and supply some food/drink, you will hopefully have a crew show up to help wrench on your cruiser!

We only ask that you join up in the club (onsc4x4.com/membership) and pick a date that doesn't conflict with another club event.

If the date works for me, I'll be there.

Alright. I’ll sign up and look at a good time and date. Thanks!

Was great to meet you last night Gabriel!

Can you post some pics of the current situation and firm up the list of what needs to be done on your truck? Let's start looking at dates also :D

BTW, super cool story about how you bought this truck in Costa Rica and imported it to the US yourself!! Super impressive too.

@raanderson77

Definitely helpfull to plan ahead.

Planning consideration to make your HAMOM the most efficient as possible.

Post photos of your 40. This helps members to see what they could be possibly signing up for. Plus we like to see pictures.

Narrow down the list of what you want accomplished during your HAMOM in order of priority.

Gather items you think you will need for the job being performed. Tools, replacement parts, brake cleaner, oil, grease, paper towels, and a designated work area just to name a few.

The most import part is definitely having the parts you need. No point in starting the work if you don’t have the parts to either replace or to fix what is broken. We can usually get around the lack of tools especially when members know ahead of time what type of work will be done during the HAMOM.

Alot of times front loading some of the cleaning or clearing of parts is helpful. For example. Some members take apart the front axle and have everything clean by the HAMOM date. This makes it easier to get started putting it together plus gives you a better chance of the work being finished by the end of the day.

One last thing. Post up your plans way in advance that way members who would like to attend the HAMOM can fit it into their calendars.

The car has locked up front brakes and needs front knuckle rebuilds, and needs parts installed into the engine bay. The engine parts should be all there, but let me know if you see something missing. I have the thermostat housing but it isn’t in that picture. I am going to order front knuckles from cruiser outfitters, and I have already gathered a list of parts I need. Let me know what y’all think. Basically I have like no tools right now, but I made a list and am ordering them

8BACD038-D6B3-4068-9C5C-F0D76FD7D92F.jpeg

FC6B00B8-16AB-4C4B-9E62-6FD047B5AF59.jpeg

355D685E-C18F-4CFD-9CEB-BDC8027C5E8C.jpeg

9F5D0AA6-96E1-4224-A6CF-553FDCBD77B0.jpeg

That's farther along than I thought it would be!

List looks good, scope of work seems reasonable. If I think of anything I'll post it up here.

What are you thinking for dates?

For a front knuckle rebuild make sure you have plenty of paper towels, brake cleaner spray with cleaning brushes and a box of latex gloves.
NOTE: if you don’t have a parts cleaner no big deal. I have never owned one until very recently.

I have always gotten away with using a carburetor parts cleaner. It is a gallon of cleaning solvent and comes with an internal cage to allow you to soak parts to make them easier to clean. See image below

Also blasting the s***e out of all the parts that will be worked on starting a few days prior with some PB blaster or WD40 would not be a bad idea.

And don’t forget the grease. You will need quite a bit of that. Maybe 4-6 tubes if I recall correctly but I am sure I will be corrected.

Cruiser outfitters is a good place to order the knuckle rebuild kit. Their new online store makes it way easier to order the rebuild kits but I like simple and easy so i also order from marlin crawler becasue on their website it is so much easier to order for me. Especially the knuckle rebuild kits. But you can’t go wrong with cruiser outfitters. Their product and customer service is second to none.

Image of the parts cleaner:
CA572A7B-617C-4B5D-B8D5-9FA923ABBB0E.jpeg

Just a suggestion but it will depend on your budget

While rebuilding the front axle you might as well replace rotors, calipers and brake pads as well as flush out all the brake fluid and replace with new stuff. Inspect your brake lines. If they are cracking it’s probably a good time to change those also, Front and back.

Again. Not sure what your budget is but if you are planning to get this 40 back on the road you are going to have to adress the brakes issue. So why not do it while you have the axle apart.
Just something to think about.

Just a suggestion but it will depend on your budget

While rebuilding the front axle you might as well replace rotors, calipers and brake pads as well as flush out all the brake fluid and replace with new stuff. Inspect your brake lines. If they are cracking it’s probably a good time to change those also, Front and back.

Again. Not sure what your budget is but if you are planning to get this 40 back on the road you are going to have to adress the brakes issue. So why not do it while you have the axle apart.
Just something to think about.
Brakes are dead anyway so I was doing that first, and people suggested knuckle rebuild after I showed them the brakes. The brakes caught fire on the tow truck because they were locked up, and rolling down the highway. Thus, “flaming 40”. Nearly burned my rig down. Tow truck driver said flames shot out at least 4 feet from the brakes before he stopped and sprayed it with a fire extinguisher. People suggested 60 series calipers with 4Runner rotors or something, but I’m going to get the brakes off and inspect them to see what I need

I took a look at the rear brakes too but the rear drums were literally perfect, and the outer housing wasn’t even rusted on. It just slid right off, and I was told based off the pictures that the rear drums were in remarkable shape

Both drums looked like this

D033DC91-75F4-44F9-A3E0-EFE1CC4B7CE5.jpeg

2FD8C598-4C04-49F5-A4B4-450F876D4D32.jpeg

A42A713F-8E52-404C-9E8C-13B9A346EB61.jpeg

What are you thinking for dates?
I’m thinking maybe the 13th or 20th? Depending on when I have all the parts. If it’s the 20th, it would have to be a little earlier because I am busy that night, but I’m free all day the 13th.

Of November? Need more advance notice than that to get a good showing, and I'm booked both those days anyway. Thinking December or January.

Of November? Need more advance notice than that to get a good showing, and I'm booked both those days anyway. Thinking December or January.
Ok, I should be free most weekends in December and January. The event dates are on Facebook right? Just to plan what days not to do

The event dates are in the onsc calendar thread at the top of this section. They may also be on fb, not sure.

I am free the 4th or 18th of December. Are either of those dates good? I also have a friend coming from app state with his 75 troopy this December to help me too around that time. I have all the parts ordered already.

I am free the 4th or 18th of December. Are either of those dates good? I also have a friend coming from app state with his 75 troopy this December to help me too around that time. I have all the parts ordered already.
Check the ONSC Calendar. The 4th is the same weekend as the Christmas party. I doubt you will get much participation on that day.

Check the ONSC Calendar. The 4th is the same weekend as the Christmas party. I doubt you will get much participation on that day.
Oh, I checked the event thread and didn’t see that. I wasn’t really expecting the 4th anyway, but figured I would just mention it

Is that your 45 series?

And if you host a HAMOM in Jan/Feb, it'll help to have a pop up tent and a heater.
Yea but I’m trying to sell it soon

Good advice. Is there a specific page to officially sign up for a HAMOM, or do I just tell a club leader

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom