Flame on: Retrofit tow mirrors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I feel like this might get blasted for some reason....but...

I am setting my 80 up for a bit of light towing of a light but wide trailer. The mirrors can't see around the trailer. I have searched here and google, and am only coming up with two options:

1. Clearview tow mirrors (~$600.00 - hard pass)
2. Mirror extensions that strap on (mostly bad reviews about vibration)

I was curious if anyone has ever retrofitted another mirror on? I was thinking of trying a cheaper set from Amazon for an 88-98 GM truck. They seem to have a similarly small mounting base, a similar mounting base *angle* (the tilt of the side windows), and look almost identical to the Clearview units.

I can't seem to find good pictures or info strictly on the mounting spot on the 80 door, but is it just flat metal? Could it easily be drilled for the GM mirror bolt pattern? Or would there have to be an adapter made? The GM units seem to have a weird hardware setup that I can't decipher but I'm wondering if I can just swap in standard hardware....

Amazon product ASIN B01HUZB67I
Any input on the 80 mounting structure would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Exactly how wide is this trailer. Those mirrors look like they would excessively wide even when collapsed. Without a trailer you would look like a complete dork driving down the street.

The mirror mount on an 80 series is recessed. A flat piece of steel could easily be bolted to the factory location, to allow aftermarket mirrors.

I understand wanting larger mirrors. However, when you're not towing, arguably you don't need the extra extension that those provide. I'd suggest trying to find a set, like Super Duty mirrors, that fold up vertically for towing, then horizontal for not towing.

I am not sure what theses came on before but they don't look that bad on an 80 this is not my rig

20220111_135519.jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

Width is 7' 4" I believe. I put a Skamper 080s truck camper on a trailer for camping. Mirrors won't see past it.

The GM mirrors I linked look almost identical to the Clearview ones, down to how far they stick out even when collapsed. Look up pictures of the Aussie 80s with Clearviews. I think they look badass but to each their own.

@voodu3, I have seen the dodge style mirrors for tacomas and considered those, I just am not partial to the look. They aren't off the table though.

@shocktower, I think those are the Clearviews.

Exactly how wide is this trailer. Those mirrors look like they would excessively wide even when collapsed. Without a trailer you would look like a complete dork driving down the street.
I passed a guy on the highway a while back and they don’t look as bad as I expected they would. I wouldn’t sport them though.

3747E1D6-F07C-47EC-811D-2BD44B0D2FA0.jpeg

AEA037AD-BF14-49C1-8262-D418E26E3D3E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom