FJs 40 thru 100 and FJC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a thoughtful comparison of the FJ series and the FJC?

I own an '86 FJ60 (bought new) with 348k miles and an FJC with 1k miles. My work schedule on the railroad allows me 90 - 110 days annually on the trail, from pleasant drives on the gravel on Forest Service routes to medium/difficult trails up to 13000' such as Argentine Pass, Mt. Antero, Black Bear, and Red Cone, for example.

I modestly modified the 60 many years ago...3" OME lift, ARB brush bar and Warn 9000 winch, 42 gal. fuel tank. I have thus far intentionally left the FJC stock (including the Bridgestone all-weather tires) to evaluate its capabilities before modifications.

The 60 is an ideal off-road vehicle for a young family, plenty of room, plenty of sightlines for the kids in the back, plenty of room for extended camping trips for four. One night in the late '80s when a wet September snowstorm at Bill Moore Lake made the tent unbearable, myself, wife, and two children, aged 4 and 6, all squeezed into the back and spent a dry, warm, night in the security of the 60. It is a great rock crawler although gearing could be lower. It literally never let us down in the mountains. It also is a comfortable flat-land highway cruiser. Downside includes not enough horsepower, especially on mountain highways, 12 - 15mpg, and, as it has aged, the challenge of passing Colorado's emmission testing.

The FJC, on the other hand, is ideal for one- or two-person trips (the kids are grown), has performed as well as the 60 on the trails (BFG AT's will make it even better), runs 65 - 70mph up the highway mountain passes with power to spare, has ranged from 19.5 - 21.8 mpg, has the "creature comforts" I've come to appreciate as I've gotten older, has the locking rear diff I've not yet had the occasion to utilize but could have used a few times over the years in the 60, runs far cleaner, and (considering I cut my teeth on a 3-speed '65 CJ5 and drove the 4-speed in the 60 for 20 years) I very much enjoy and find the 5-speed automatic not just acceptable but ideal, given its outstanding engine braking capability. The only downside so far is, unlike the 60 where I could stretch out in the back, I have to sleep at a slight angle in the FJC.

it is, in my opinion and experience, a very, very capable on- and off-road vehicle that suits my needs perfectly. And best of all, it's a Toyota.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an FJ40 that excels at many offroad trails...and a FZJ80 that excels at many others...having driven the FJC over the past few weeks during training has brought me even more respect for it...a bit of lift, a bit of tire, and a bit of protection (much like you'd do to any other wheelin rig) and these rigs are great fun running sand washes and running the rock trails, and it's a blast on the street too.

One thing to remember...we are ALL Toyota truck enthusiasts...period. We also all made our own choice in what we wheel, and why.

I agree with you comparison. I wish the rear windows were bigger as I have a family. If they were there would be one sitting in my driveway. I still get excited when I see them. When the couple days come back in 15 years or so I'm sure I'll have one.

Well put ak hwy. Ditto to Woody on my own quiver of Cruisers, although my 40 is a bit more petite.

After over 40,000 miles in FJ Cruisers the maiden year of the FJCTT it brought true joy to me to once again drive my own beloved Land Cruisers (finally finished the instal of the much needed turbo on my 3B). Although as the weeks went on I missed that throaty hum from the 1GR-FE I have come to love, as well as the faithful churning of A-TRAC working under my feet. It's great to be back in an FJ Cruiser. Just like every Cruiser, the FJC has its own flavor, but it's Toyota every step of the way.

I hope to keep my 40 and my 80 the rest of my life, but someday I can forsee an FJ Cruiser of my own finding its way into my quiver.

Many of us can relate to your experience with the FJ. As with you, kids are gone so my wife and I bought the FJ for us to travel and have fun with. We have other vehicles we use for daily drivers - the FJ is our "Get Away" vehicle and we love it! We took our annual trek to Yellowstone in the FJ this year. Good mileage - plenty of room - peppy performance - and was the center of many conversations along the way with folks curious about the FJ. After driving the FJ for 9,500 miles over the past 10 months, we have decided to upgrade a few items - to personalize it and increase its capabilities. Great vehicle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom