FJC Bumper Prototypes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have designed and built front and rear bumpers for the FJC. Just wanted to get some input before I put them on our website for sale.

Thanks in advance,

Shane
IronClad Offroad

2012-09-01 14.39.29.jpg

2012-09-01 15.38.21.jpg

2012-08-31 15.21.40.jpg

The front looks "too bulky" I like the rear although the metal top corner plates concern me, when the vehicle flexes would the come op and tear in to the quarter panels ?

Thanks for the input, the front does "look" bulky, but is actually smaller than the stock one... As far as the rear, I understand your concern, but it does have a decent amount of clearance.

That being said, the guy I made these for has since been rearended on the rear passenger side , not too bad, but the bumper didn't budge and didn't come in contact with the quarter...

Thanks again,

Shane

Ooh, crash-test pictures would be cool!

My constructive criticism...slim down the front bumper's side wings. The factory bumper dimensions make the whole front end look like a football helmet with face guard. Anything that can eliminate that bulky look up front is a major aesthetic improvement in my opinion. For me, up front you want as much tire clearance and approach angle as you can get - so slimming the FJC's profile is the goal. Unless you live in a region where game animals are a road hazard a bull bumper is a bit overkill.

I'd also consider extruding the rear bumper's corners to keep trees/obstacles off the tail light lens. Maybe not the whole corner, but at least the base bumper part. The rear bumper's role is slightly different than the front bumper: you want to protect that which is vulnerable because you don't have eyes back there - so protecting your blind spots, tail lenses and side glass is the goal.

I like that you are able to use the factory hitch option and your overall body clearance tolerances look pretty good.

Hey Shane,
What gauge steel did you use and what is the total weight of each bumper. I like the route you are going with the rear bumper and with your skills U could do a swing out very easy. Nice job on the fab work. Now what about a winch mount on the front and some driving lites located in the bumper. I agree the lower section of the front wings could go, or even roll under a little. The cargo tie downs on the front, are they through bolted to the frame?

Overall, very nice work.

I can have them powder coated in any color/finish imaginable... The customer picked this one.

Swing out wouldn't be a problem at all.

I agree with slimming the front, and adding more of a bump out on the rear for the tail light, but this was what the customer wanted.
These ones are made of 1/8'' as the customer doesn't use it OffRoad, it was for looks and fender benders in parking lots and such (he lives in the city). But 3/16'' or 1/4'' could be done too.

The D-rings on the front are bolted to the mounting brackets, so they both mount the bumper and add recovery points. They are 1/2'' grade 8.

We could easily throw a winch mount and/or lights on the front per request.

Thanks for all the input...

Shane

So the rear bumper pictured wouldn't work with bushwackers installed....

Nice bumper! If you want, I can add it to my complete front bumper comparison on the fjcruiserforums!

So the rear bumper pictured wouldn't work with bushwackers installed....

Honestly I am really not very familiar with FJC's more of an 80 guy, so others would know better than I..

Nice bumper! If you want, I can add it to my complete front bumper comparison on the fjcruiserforums!

Thanks for the offer, that would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom