FJ80 1996 Exhaust recommentations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys - looks like my 96 is in real need of an exhaust from the heades back! Too much soup driving in it's past life without being cleaned off. Anyway, any suggestions on this? I need it street Cali legal, as it's not just my wheeler, but my daily driver. THANKS! Oh yeah, and I also need some advice on a 3-4 inch lift for the bugger! THANKS!

oem and dealer install = lifetime warranty at least from muffler back.

you said heads back? get the pipes/cats from the dealer,then if ya want the BLING BLING get this from the cats back:Borla's Hi Flow Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System-Fits 1995-1997 FZJ80 & LX450 Series
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat326.tam?xax=1514&page.ctx=cat326.tam

pricey,but probably not more than oem and its stainless,unless ya wheel it xtreme and dont wanna drag it off........

doug

XXXR,

>> Oh yeah, and I also need some advice on a 3-4 inch lift for the bugger! <<

Many on this board have selected the OME springs. They offer various versions from minimal lift over stock, to 50mm lift (common), to their "J" springs with about 4" over stock. Contact an OME dealer and give them information about the accessories on your truck, how you plan to use it now and in the future, and the terrain where you usually wheel.

The guys with Slee Off-road are in Moab right now but give them a call in a week or so and they will be glad to talk about your options. Post back here with the above information and you'll get plenty of opinions from knowledgeable people that have most, if not all, the OME combinations. (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/80_suspension.htm)

Downey and Ironman are alternative vendors. There may be others.

-B-

I recently had to have my cats replaced. The dealer quoted 950 for the #1 and 530 for the #2... Needless to say I did not go that route. I toasted the #1 cat on some rocks and had a massive leak at the junction between the two. I had a local muffler shop cut both cats out just past the #1 O2 sensors, then run a small length of pipe to a high flow generic type cat. It sits where the 2 factory cats should sit but much higher up since it's on a horizontal rather than a vertical. The total cost for the job was around 200 bucks. I would not recommend running a borla if the truck is ever going to see anything other than "mall duty”. Sure you can put oem stuff back but what's the point for what the dealer wants. If it were my rig I would find a good muffler shop to do the work.

As far as lift goes OME is the only way to fly. Again if you don't intend on actually wheeling your rig there are cheaper kits out there...

HTH ;)

My Borla survived Moab last year without a scratch. It does not exit in it's original location. I moved it up about 2 inches and modified the bumper end. Works good. Headed back there now, I'll see if it makes it again.............. :dunno:

&nbsp:Dan :beer:

Yes ditto on OME! They are simply the best! They fit right and give you a way better ride over stock! And you can fit 35's! :D

XXXR,
Welcome to the board. You'll likely find it addictive. :beer:
Forgive me if I insult your intelligence here, I just want to clarify something the other guys said below.

OME = Old Man Emu, the favorite manufacturer of aftermarket lifts of most of us on this forum. Not to be confused with:

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Some new folks get confused and I need to pad my post numbers ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom