FJ62 T/C noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sneech.com
I've been driving my FJ62 around in the ice and snow lately and I notice some vibrations and noise when I let off the gas while in 4wd. Anyone know what causes this? It seems to do it when there is no torque load on the drive shafts like when I'm coasting. If I drop the tranny down to 2nd and back drive the engine the noise goes away. I rebuilt the case when I did my vortec converstion about 1500 miles ago. Maybe I put something together wrong :( My T/C is a little forward of the stock position. I also did a SOA so my front axle is vertically farther from the case then normal. I am not running any cv's on either drive shaft and the front one is the one I took to a shop and had balanced and straightened. The rear was just welded up an run as is.

If you lock your hubs, and run in 2WD is the noise still there when coasting?

If I shift the T/C back to 2wd while the noise is happening the noise will stop the instant the 4wd indicator goes out.

A couple of possibilities - bad u-joint(s) on the front drive line, bad TC out-put bearing, or mis-aligned/matched TC out-put flanges. When you reassembled the front drive line did you match mark the TC out-put flanges? Just a few thoughts.

Ming

Pretty strange. I would check the TCoutput shaft bearings for loss of preload and whether there is any detectable sideways and in and out play in the shaft.

my '87 FJ60 is doing EXACTLY the same thing....posted a week or so ago with same issue, still haven't nailed it down yet.

let me know if you come up with a good answer,

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom