FJ62 Side Mirror Glass From Overland brands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i recently was driving and some big man with a dully was parked halfway into the street. Long story short i ended up smacking my mirror on his, my mirror was dangling from the window adjustment wire and i had shattered my 32 year old glass. Luckily i was able to reattach my mirror housing, the only thing that happened was the retainer clip had popped off. I was still at a loss for what to do for the glass, since it was the passenger side mirror i didn't know if i could get curved glass cut to fit. I figured i had to buy some cheap Thailand mirrors off of eBay. Before i resigned myself to that i figured i would look and see if i could buy the glass, and to my surprise i found it, on Walmart website none the less. Not wanting to buy from Walmart i tracked down the supplier which is Overland Brands.

It ended up being less than $30 with shipping, and it turned out to be great quality. I haven't installed it yet but the new mirror is nice and thick with hardly an imperfection. Barring shattering it while putting it back into the housing, i would say this was a win. I might even go ahead and get the driver mirror so they both are new.

For those interested here is the link to the website.

That is a win! Good info.👍

So i installed the mirror, thought i would do a little write up. Its not complicated but the new mirror is a bit smaller than the original. Overall i am really impressed with the quality for the price.
20200708_131816.jpg

A little before shot, luckily the mirror broke in half and not shattered. So i was able to drive it around for a while.

20200708_132727.jpg

Removing the original mirror is easy, there is just a rubber retaining band that goes around the whole thing. Taking a credit card and just sliding under the glass will free it. Of course if the mirror is shattered that doesn't matter.

The kit comes with glue pads, as you can see in the image. These are important as i found out because the mirror is just a hair smaller than the original. I found this out because i thought i could get it i didn't need the glue pads. On the point of the glue pads, these are really sticky and hold the mirror well, i found this out because i used one when i first put the mirror in and had a hard time removing the mirror without breaking it. Since the glue pads are so sticky, you are going to need a needle to pull of the protecting paper, but once you get it started the paper comes off easy.

20200708_133108.jpg
20200708_133119.jpg

As you can see there is a gap between the original rubber holder and the new mirror. You cant really notice it from a distance but its one of those small details that people like us will notice when you look close.

Overall it took me 30 minutes to get the new mirror in, and its held in there tight. For less than 30 bucks this is significantly better option than replacing the whole side mirror.

20200708_133159.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy it while you can. The pivoting ball joint that allows the mirror to be adjusted inside the housing is made of plastic. Now 32 year old very brittle plastic. The pivot retainer is held to the housing with a few small molded plastic tabs that are brittle too. Once they snap (and eventually they will) the mirror can no longer be retained in the housing and the whole thing must then be tossed in a dumpster.

Pro Tip:
Once you get the mirrors adjusted to your liking (be careful!) don't ever adjust them again. That's what will break the inside tabs- applying force to the glass mirror

Enjoy it while you can. The pivoting ball joint that allows the mirror to be adjusted inside the housing is made of plastic. Now 32 year old very brittle plastic. The pivot retainer is held to the housing with a few small molded plastic tabs that are brittle too. Once they snap (and eventually they will) the mirror can no longer be retained in the housing and the whole thing must then be tossed in a dumpster.

Pro Tip:
Once you get the mirrors adjusted to your liking (be careful!) don't ever adjust them again. That's what will break the inside tabs- applying force to the glass mirror
Ive had the mirror housing out before when i painted it, and i know what your talking about. Nothing epoxy wouldn't solve, either that or i could just 3D print a new plastic connections. Its a very simple design and easy to fix or repair when they break.

But i figure if the thing can take a 25 mile an hour hit and not break the plastic housing it will be good for a while.

Interesting. So the original glass is just held in with an adhesive ring around the edge?

Interesting. So the original glass is just held in with an adhesive ring around the edge?
Its actually not glued in there. It's like a rubber lip thay holds the glass in place by the edges. The new one couldn't be held in by the ring so it had to be held in by adhesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom