FJ62 Rear tailgate "Toyota" emblem removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Man

SILVER Star
Threads
Probably a silly question. I want to remove the tailgate emblem. The inside of my tailgate is full of sound suppressor material that is installed with a tar like glue that will ruin it all if I remove it. Just wondering if there is any way to remove it from the outside without damage, or if I'm going to have a messy job removing all of the sound deadening product.

TIA!

The 4WD you can gently, slowly, carefully pry off. It will leave 2 holes.
The Toyota name plate is on the license light assembly. The assembly comes off with 3 or 4 nuts - accessed from the inside.

The 4WD you can gently, slowly, carefully pry off. It will leave 2 holes.
The Toyota name plate is on the license light assembly. The assembly comes off with 3 or 4 nuts - accessed from the inside.
Yeah I got the 4wd off no problem, it is the Toyota light assembly. Looks like I've got a messy job removing this sound deadening. Thanks.

if you have a proper sized hole punch or using a knive, just cut away the insulation around the nuts. Then take the nuts off. You might be able to get them off without remove the cut insulation using an oversize socket or pliers, etc. I doubt the nuts are on very tight.

if you have a proper sized hole punch or using a knive, just cut away the insulation around the nuts. Then take the nuts off. You might be able to get them off without remove the cut insulation using an oversize socket or pliers, etc. I doubt the nuts are on very tight.
Unfortunately the PO put the stuff everywhere, so it is layers across the outside frame and all the way through. The good news is I have one of the quietest FJ62s around. The bad news is it is going to be a PITA any time I have to get to something. I'll try the dry ice freeze trick to see if it allows it to be removed easier.

Unfortunately the PO put the stuff everywhere, so it is layers across the outside frame and all the way through. The good news is I have one of the quietest FJ62s around. The bad news is it is going to be a PITA any time I have to get to something. I'll try the dry ice freeze trick to see if it allows it to be removed easier.

I’d be curious to know if a clothing steamer would loosen that stuff without a mess. Steamers work wonders on tint removal.

Said it before a few times...the overkill of stick on sound deadening application over the past 10 years on this website is going to be the curse of these vehicles.

Stop the fncking madness people!!!

is that rear toyota license light assembly still available new?

Or you could just take it to Montana for a winter...
PXL_20230415_200702633.jpg

The chrome trim piece was dangling just barely attached to one of the bulbs when we went to pick the truck up. Still pondering how I'm going to reattach it. Just glad my bother thought to pull it off and toss it in the back before we hit the road.

Or you could just take it to Montana for a winter...
View attachment 3311698
The chrome trim piece was dangling just barely attached to one of the bulbs when we went to pick the truck up. Still pondering how I'm going to reattach it. Just glad my bother thought to pull it off and toss it in the back before we hit the road.
Unless you fabricate something, your best bet might be to clean it up real well and use extreme double sided tape. GL

Unless you fabricate something, your best bet might be to clean it up real well and use extreme double sided tape. GL
Yeah I can easily bend some metal tabs that'll work to mount the trim piece back in place. It's remounting the bulb sockets that'll take some creativity. I reckon that from start to mounted and ready for picture day it will be a four beer job.

Yeah I can easily bend some metal tabs that'll work to mount the trim piece back in place. It's remounting the bulb sockets that'll take some creativity. I reckon that from start to mounted and ready for picture day it will be a four beer job.
We drink bananas around here. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom