FJ62 headliner mouse nest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the few things I’ve never tackled is a headliner. Done carpets, door panels, package trays B and C pillar upholstery wise. But with the way these go in under the glass and all🙁.
That being said I’ve got a mouse nest on either side of the rear section of my headliner.
Can you remove just the rear section? The two rear most bows. Vacuum out as much as I can and reinstall?

IMG_3844.jpeg

IMG_3846.jpeg

^^^^ eye pro / mask / gloves ^^^^

see this if you aren't replacing the whole headliner and be prepared for A LOT to come out - I had the same problem:
Drive that 60!!!! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/drive-that-60.1300240/#post-14728132

I also blasted away with lysol multiple times through the small slit I made.

Long term solution is a new headliner, for sure. But that's a bigger project than I'm ready for right now.
Well well well Montana. That’s where I got her from. There is no staining coming through the liner but it does smell. I thought it was spilled fertilizer or whatnot in the carpet. It was a rural area or came from. All the fluff I pulled out of the hole behind the rear dome light was dry n kinda sunflower shells and mouse poop.
We will see.

Cut open a small slit on either side and shoved the shop vac in and filled my Rigid 4 gallon three times.
Pulled a couple buddies out that were clogging the nozzle. May have sucked a couple more through that I didn’t see.
Hope this helps with the smell.

IMG_3881.jpeg

lol. Well done! It should be satisifying to know the remnants and stink are removed. Call me paranoid but I researched hantavirus while conducting this process, just to make sure there was no risk (which there wasn't). You may want to pull those interior cardboad panels from the cargo area as well. On mine, the mice had also traveled down into that area in the fenders behind the rear wheels (I assume via D pillars). Again, I was agressive with lysol use and a pet urine odor eating product even when cleaning down into the fenders. Ironcially, the only real spot of rust on mine was the end of right rocker panel, which also was somehow packed dense with mouse nest and carcass that had remained damp for many years. On rare occasion with just the right heat / humidity conditions I will get a faint wiff of the cruiser's past life. Good enough for now. Someday maybe a new headliner will be in order.

lol. Well done! It should be satisifying to know the remnants and stink are removed. Call me paranoid but I researched hantavirus while conducting this process, just to make sure there was no risk (which there wasn't). You may want to pull those interior cardboad panels from the cargo area as well. On mine, the mice had also traveled down into that area in the fenders behind the rear wheels (I assume via D pillars). Again, I was agressive with lysol use and a pet urine odor eating product even when cleaning down into the fenders. Ironcially, the only real spot of rust on mine was the end of right rocker panel, which also was somehow packed dense with mouse nest and carcass that had remained damp for many years. On rare occasion with just the right heat / humidity conditions I will get a faint wiff of the cruiser's past life. Good enough for now. Someday maybe a new headliner will be in order.
Odor this morning was the lowest it’s been since I got her. Almost gone. I did pull the lower cargo area panels both sides. Passenger side all clear. No nests. Drivers side nest material built up so high it almost touches the washer fluid bag and Jack mount. The good news in all the nesting I’ve pulled out is all of it has been “clean” and dry. No moist urine soaked fluff. No nesting material that was rust stained.
I do think a visit to an upholstery shop is where my tax return will be going this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom