FJ62 Headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was wondering if anyone has used the TPI headers on their FJ62 ? If so, what 's your opinion.. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2001 UZJ100-- Champagne Pearl--- 63K
1989 FJ62-- Freeborn Red---131K
1991 Range Rover Classic-- Ardennes Green---63K
2003 Mercedes CL55 AMG-- Bright Silver Metallic---17.7K

Opinion:
Why? You expecting an extra 62 hp?:grinpimp:

These headers are sold by multiple vendors, I got mine from Man-a-fre. Search for 3FE headers. Some people have had OK luck with them, I did not. The collector flanges came warped and leaked despite my best efforts and various different gaskets (stock, metal, dead soft copper...). They also melted some wiring conduit up near the fuel injectors. Man-a-fre was great though and took them back even though I had had them a while.

But you're probably curious about the performance increase. There was some upstairs but I also noticed that low end was better when I put the stock manifolds back on (could have been the leaky collectors though). Overall it wasn't enough to get me to do it again. The money is much better spent running a custom exhaust from the stock manifolds back (take a look at the "Y' between the stock cats and muffler - now there's a restriction). I'm running 2.5 pipes from the manifold to a generic high flow dual entry dual exit cat to a dual entry single exit Flowmaster.

The money is much better spent running a custom exhaust from the stock manifolds back (take a look at the "Y' between the stock cats and muffler - now there's a restriction). I'm running 2.5 pipes from the manifold to a generic high flow dual entry dual exit cat to a dual entry single exit Flowmaster.

That seems to be the conventional wisdom here at Mud as I've read several threads that lead in this direction. Member DD113 has been one of the most outspoken critics of the 3FE header and its propensity to leak . Since he runs a cruiser shop in the South and has worked on dozens of these rigs, he should know!

I have the MAF's on my 89 FJ62. Yes, they did spring a leak. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, but I have a top notch exhaust guy. If he can't fix them, I'll probably can them and go back to stock with said mods.

I noticed a little more SOTP feeling at the mid range and top and a slight increase in mileage.

I'll let you know in a few weeks what happens.

BTW, I put them on while the engine was out being swapped (after I trashed the original:( )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom