FJ62 Christmas Tree? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CaptHamster

TLCA #19645
Threads
Hey guys, coming home from dinner tonight and about 2 blocks away, the poor old truck lit up like a Christmas tree! I got a brake warning light and battery warning light on the dash. When I pulled up at home, already with a feeling that it was the alternator (thanks to info from the forum!) I pulled up, put it in park, looked down, and noticed I had a transmission temp warning light as well. At this point I noticed all the lights (interior lights and headlights) seemed to be a little bit dimmer. I also noted that the battery charge gauge, with nothing but parking lights on (as in no radio, fans, etc.) was only reading about the middle mark (12V?), which is unusual, because it's typically never that low with headlights off.

Now for the questions:

1.) The lights on the dash - this typically points to the alternator not charging well/at all, correct?

2.) Would the transmission temp light have come for the same reason as the brake and battery lights?

3.) If not, should I be worried about the tranny? I honestly could not have been driving for more than about 5 minutes, at no faster than 40 MPH, and nothing seemed out of place. Absolutely no slipping, shuddering, noise, anything from the tranny. It's pretty cool out tonight too, and the engine temp on the gauge on the dash (also, I know, not that accurate) was not even at the halfway mark.

So everyone...what's the deal? Any reason to be worried?

Thanks everyone!

P.S. - Just remembered that in my rush to get up to speed on the freeway ramp last night, I floored it, and watched the RPM's climb steadily up to about 4,000...as soon as it hit 4K, I got the brake and battery warning light, but they went out as soon as the truck upshifted and I got up to speed. Never did get the lights after that on the way home, until tonight. Could that have had anything to do with it?

CaptHamster

I have an import HJ61 here in OZ when I start the old girl the tranny temp light comes on and stays on till I give her a rev. The regulator then cuts in and tranny light goes out.

Just a guess here but 4000 revs could cause the alternator belt to slip (lights come on) you may not hear the slippin cos of the engine noise.

I'd be checking the belt has'nt broken or jumped off

all the best

Laurie

Brake light and Battery light = alternator not working.

This happened to me too. Pulled out the multimeter and sure enough battery was not charging. You can drive a fair distance on the battery alone, but it's going to die sooner than later. I drove about 20 miles with no alternator and still had plenty of juice to start it.

Thanks guys. I guess it's the alternator then...

anyone know off the top of their head what an alt from CDan will run? I'm gonna call him monday anyway but figured if anyone knew beforehand i might as well ask

Yup, same symptoms as what i just was dealing with... including the tranny light. my Toyota Reman Alternator was about $180.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom